Correcting a chewed up 10k spindle bore

Clock work

Registered
Registered
I discovered my spindle bore was chewed up while finally getting around to making a collet holder tonight. Turned the tube to the supposedly spec diameter (0.840) and it would hang up about 6" in from the chuck end. Put a bore scope in and it was just one long tube full of concentric gouging. I'm tempted to see if I can ream it from the tailstock but first I'm asking... anyone aware of a blessed official recipe for cleaning up the surface in there? Thanks.

CW

I think that's your best bet. The tube does nothing except tighten the collet, so as long as your nose piece area is clean I don't see any problem getting rid of the high spots with a reamer. The spindle's bored a little bigger than the tube anyway.

Just remember, the spindle on most all SBL's including the 10K, are rock hard. Rig up a extension on a air grinder with a piece of emery cloth as a flap wheel and go in there and flap it out. Might take a while, you'll get it smooth out. The other thing you can do is turn about .030" off the OD of the draw bar behind the the internal thread about an inch and all the way back to the hand wheel. Doing both should help you a lot.

Thanks to all.. excellent and appreciated input. I was unaware of the brake wheel cylinder flavor of hone but great suggestion.. thanks. I'm sure given how messed up it is in there I'd do well to start with the flap wheel and finishing it with the hone. It would take me hours to mess up the tube that bad. I can't see how the previous guys did all that yet handed down a lathe as tight as this one is. Though, that said... I am not wanting for places on it that would appreciate the application of a little bonds:)

I finally gathered the necessary implements to clear up the bore... I plugged the chuck end so I didn't nick the finished part of the throat... used a 0.75" flap wheel on a drill extender with the bore rotating in back gear. For this part, I took a piece of PVC pipe a couple of inches long and bored it out so it slipped over the non-chuck end of the spindle, to keep grit out... used WD40 for a lube and it cleaned up quicker than I thought... then used a small honing tool to hone the bore with more WD. I wasn't making something perfect.. just getting rid of the stalactites. Very acceptable result with only 5 min of work. Thanks again to all.

Back