Corvair Ring and Pinion Gear Set

racecar builder

Registered
Registered
Is it possible for these to be made in a small machine shop?

The goal is a set that reverses direction of rotation.

That enables mid engine build with Corvair drive train.

Last time Richmond Gear ran some off they only made 100 sets and they are all gone.

Thanks!

'Absolutely! '

Great!

Noticed you said something about lots of money also.That part does not sound so good.

Looking into two alternatives.

Removing material inside the differential case and putting ring gear on other side of pinion.

The backup idea is running transmission and differential upside down.

That involves slicing bellhousing and welding it back together with one part rotated 180 degrees.

There is one more alternative. Have to find out if straight cut ring and pinion will reverse what it

is in there now.

Straight cut ring and pinion may be a little more reasonable price.

There is one thing that im positive about.........you got lots of work ahead of you and I wish you all the luck amd will be interested in your progress.

'I wish you all the luck'

Thanks!

Ouiji board says go the bellhousing route. Run the differential/transmission upside down.

Talked to a Southern California Corvair aficianado and he said he has seen two of them in 30 years of hobby.

One in a V8 conversion and another in a motorcycle Corvair engined.

So we will go for it.

Reworking the bellhousing is more within our experience than other options.

You would need two Gleason machines.....one for the ring,one for the pinion.(at least),then ideally shaving and grinding machines,not to mention a differential quench (different oil temp for different areas of the tooth)..........straight bevels.(assuming you arent hypoid),would be very noisy,even if cut in a correct machine,and the weak too,if increased power is the goal.........crawler tractors with straight bevels always broke teeth......even with slightly curved teeth...........however ,can you flop over the ring ,to the opposite side......some tractors did this to get rear end loaders etc..

'straight bevels.(assuming you arent hypoid),would be very noisy'

We would be okay with them but they would not be good for road racing or regular highway use.

'.however ,can you flop over the ring ,to the opposite side'

In the Corvair ring gear and it's carrier are off to the side a little.

Been told that is not doable to turn it over.

When we get one we will take a look at the situation.

Bellhousing method is the front runner.

'What are you building?'

Hobby car.Best name we have come up with for it.

Corvair front and rear crossmembers unbolt with complete drivetrain and suspension.

Building a simple frame to complete it.Like a dune buggy with asphalt tires.

Once we solve mid engine situation probably lots of people will build cars with it.

It's probably a stopper for a lot of potential Corvair guys figuring out how to make mid engine work.

Running transaxle upside down is a little crude but have not heard any parts fall into the trans or differential

when you do that.

It would be a big pain if you were keeping Corvair body but in a tube frame it is just average fabrication work.

Dealing with relocated transaxle that is.

Mostly shifter and clutch linkage which you would be fabricating anyhow.They are cables I believe not mechanical linkage.

No big deal.

Sounds like a fun project. I saw a mid-engine VW the other day, and imagine the conversion on your Nader Hater would have similar challenges. Probably much more so with the Corvair.

One thing stands out to me with the obvious idea to flop the differential- you will lose oiling to your pinion bearings when the pinion is placed above the axle line.

Back