Corvair Ring and Pinion Gear Set

Back when I was in college, I wrenched for a classmate who ran a small business repairing/maintaining/building Corvairs in San Diego. I remember there was Mid-engine tube frame project I helped work on. I remember talking to him about the how the Mid-engine conversion was done. He said there was a Kit available that allowed one to reverse the corvair engine rotation with a new cam and distributor drive gear set.

If these kits are still available, it might be easier than going the full custom route.

Thanks.

'reverse the corvair engine rotation with a new cam and distributor drive gear set.'

Yes.That is a halfway decent way to do it.

Distributor can be converted with parts.Best to look for a used camshaft.Some of the prices on new are pretty far out there.

Have heard something about turning pistons 180 on rods.Thrust side or something like that.

I would change main and rod bearings.Same thing.How they are used to being 'thrust' or thrown.

Starter needs to be modified too.Guy on Corvair forum has the Bendix drives that throw out when spun the other way.

I am going reversing gearbox at each wheel route because they are stone simple.

The whole process is understandable and doable by average garage mechanic.

It is probably best if you are building a clean sheet car though.Like a dune buggy or some kind of race car.

Axles get moved a couple inches fore or aft.Not so hot for a factory Corvair.

The old VW commercials had that system,but to raise ground clearance.Another way to do it is with planetary gearing in the hubs,.Opposite rotation starters are common as many motors have the starter out the back of the housing......with bigger Delco starters ,opposite rotation parts are standard.

Back