Corvair Ring and Pinion Gear Set

Thanks.

'more so with the Corvair'

VW guys CAN put the ring gear on the other side of the pinion.Corvair you are up a creek on that one.That is the stopper.

Think there is company that has V8 to VW adapter kits. They are @ $460

'lose oiling to your pinion bearings when the pinion is placed above the axle line.'

First time we have head that.Will keep it in mind.

Do know of people that have done it so that is a good thing.

Just spent the last half hour looking at the FSM. For a street car, inverting the diff section may work, but oil control will be an issue- mainly, you submerge the seals for the pinion and shafting in oil where it is designed to run above the oil reservoir. Plus the mating gear pair will be submerged, which would be great for adding drag and heat. I don't think it's a solution for longevity, but for weekend fooling around it might be okay. I'm not a Corvair enthusiast, but my clothes all smell like gear oil so I thought I'd offer unsolicited food for thought.
Corvair2.JPG

There is a thread on Pirate4x4 where a guy is modding a Corvair with some more modern drive train options. It might give you some alternatives.

Toronado transaxle looks like an easy solution. Probably cheep, too. Upgrading to the Toronado's split shaft TH400 makes more sense to me than running the über-shetty unstreetable 2-speed Powerglide. But wow, it doesn't stop there, the 4T80/ mid-engine Northstar swap is juicy!

Mid engine north star swap sounds exactly like what the hardcore Ferro fans do, "Juicy" is a Very Good description. If you ever have a chance to drive one with that monster GM Northstar stuffed in the back you should take that opportunity!

'looking at the FSM '

Where did you find a shop manual with clear pictures?

'for weekend fooling around'

You hit the nail on the head! We just are looking for a solution first so the car will just move under it's own power.

'my clothes all smell like gear oil'

Well.Hold that thought because we have been looking at other things with these 'parts'.

One thing at a time though.

About those other solutions.Thanks.I think those would be different projects.

We are trying to stay all Corvair parts as much as possible.

'source for Corvair drivetrains or is this a one off?'

What do you mean exactly?

Are you thinking of getting a Corvair drivetrain to build a project with?

Do you want a whole car?

Back