Could anyone share ideas for bench grinder rests?

I can see the point here on the title similarity, point well taken, but right off the bat it should be recognized as a book about using the bench grinder, not a cutter grinder. I have built my own cutter grinder and find it more useful than many commercial units I have used over the years.

I referred the OP to the book for the reason that he was looking for a rest for his bench grinder. You would be hard pressed (IMHO) to find better.

"Billy G"

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/home-grown-cutter-grinder.19384/

Last edited by a moderator:
A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

Grinding%20Platform%20jpg.jpg

After looking at the video on their website, this looks like a nice setup for sharpening and making lathe tools especially. It may work as well for endmills, but I would have to see one to know for sure. But definitely a nice and easy unit to work with for sharpening.

I have one of these. Got the kit. Fun project. Very happy with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see the point here on the title similarity, point well taken, but right off the bat it should be recognized as a book about using the bench grinder, not a cutter grinder. I have built my own cutter grinder and find it more useful than many commercial units I have used over the years.

I referred the OP to the book for the reason that he was looking for a rest for his bench grinder. You would be hard pressed (IMHO) to find better.

"Billy G"

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/home-grown-cutter-grinder.19384/
And I recognized that before I purchased it. It was an offhand comment about briefly getting my hopes up. I thought it might amuse a few people. I really didn't think it would cause such consternation. You'll note that I also recommended the book for the exact purpose as inquired.

As a matter of incredible coincidence (I assume?) Harold just uploaded a video on the subject of the grinder rest this morning:

Back