Could really use some help, new tapered bearings AND new spindle, still .005 off

Yes, it is frustrating, espeically when you cause the mess you are in. Daddy day care today and a trip to Chuck e Cheese kept me busy........pics of the set up/

OK it's a lot clearer to me now, you should be able to indicate right off the MT just in front of the lathe spindle, then indicate from the face of that hex that the chuck seats against, and last indicate the OD of the arbor just between the face of that hex and the thread the chuck mounts on.

Edit: on closer inspection it looks like there might be a little bore or center in the front of that arbor, if so indicate there as well, indicating the OD of the arbor just between the face of that hex and the thread the chuck mounts on might not be possible for you without the right tip for your indicator.

Edit No.2: it would be good to see the back of that chuck as well, the thread if you can get the right angle, I'd like to see if there's a small register area before the internal thread on that chuck.

Edit No.3: not to confuse anything at the moment, but if that chuck has some sort of mounting holes on it I'd get clear of that MT setup and make a backing plate, the chuck will be closer to the bearing in the head stock, you'll be able to take advantage of the through hole on the spindle, if anything ever jams between the jaw and something else it will have less mechanical advantage to do damage, in general it will be a more ridged setup over all, just something to think about for the future.

Last edited:
Back