Could these be put to any use?

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The Hotel near me is renovating, there is a small pile of cut offs, 2" to a little over 12", and a couple of bigger counter plates. Not sure if those will be thrown away. I'm assuming it's Marble the remnants are 4" wide by 3/4" thick, the under side is unfinished. Any thoughts?

Make some fancy wind chimes - that's Christmas taken care of. Smear with grinding past for honing tools. Use for mixing small amounts of Epoxy.

Machine cabinet tops if big enough. Or just like a assembly area on your bench.
I have a piece of granite Inlayed into my work bench 2’x3’. It works great for layout and stuff. I also have a bunch of it in smaller pieces I use for bases of steam engines and such. Dominos?

There's a use for everything ! That's why I can't walk in the basement ……………………….or the garage …………………...or the other house …………..and so on . :rolleyes: I find ways to re-purpose just about anything , heck , what do they make fertilizer out of ? ;) :grin:

If you have 3 or 4 pieces like the one in the picture you can glue a wide strip of sandpaper of different grit and use them to sharpen your knives , chisels ,axes. google " scary sharp method".

Most of that stuff, is man made stone and the epoxy is fareley soft, so the stuff don’t hold up well. It scatches easy and breaks even eassyer, so not sure what you could use for, it want stand up to heat, abrasives or oil.
Good luck.
CH

Solid Surface materials like Corian are epoxies and fairly soft. Solid Surface materials have a uniform surface gloss when viewed at a slight angle. They are also lighter in weight than quartz material or natural stone.

Quartz materials are composites which are roughly 93% quartz and other aggregate and 7% epoxy. The ground surfaces are essentially aggregate with small interstitial amounts of epoxy. Viewed at an angle, the tiny islands of polished aggregate will be readily apparent. After twelve years of use, I haven't seen a single scratch on the surface of our 35 lineal feet of countertop. There are some small chips where the aggregate was fractured but for the most part the surface is nearly as pristine as when it was installed.

Natural stone is of course solid stone. Granite countertops would have similar characteristics to surface plates. Marble is softer and will dissolve in contact with acid. Slate is softer yet and can be scratched with steel tools.

I should have added that quartz materials, being composites, are subject to potential warping, especially if temperatures are elevated. As such, I wouldn't count on them being truly flat even if they originally were.

Good information, thank you. Less flat things to put on other flat things that need to be cleared off when you need a flat thing to work on. LOL

Back