Could use a mentor near Minneapolis, MN

DangerZone

Registered
Registered
Hey All,

I am brand new to machining. Technically, I got to use a lathe in highschool but I don't remember a ton. Other than that, I have just been reading all that I can find online. I don't yet have machines of my own to use, but that seems to be the first step/goal. I am just real fascinated in learning machining, but I don't know many people locally that I can bounce ideas off of.

Hey All,

I am brand new to machining. Technically, I got to use a lathe in highschool but I don't remember a ton. Other than that, I have just been reading all that I can find online. I don't yet have machines of my own to use, but that seems to be the first step/goal. I am just real fascinated in learning machining, but I don't know many people locally that I can bounce ideas off of.
As quickly as you can, join the Upper Midwest Machinists group (click on "Groups"). Your timing is perfect. We're going to have a get-together in Rosemount this Saturday, just so people in the group can meet and maybe talk about more get-togethers and networking in the future. We haven't had one in a couple of years. So far there are only seven or eight people who have said they're planning to go. Several of us are fairly new to machining, so you'll fit right in. We'll be going out for breakfast at a restaurant in Rosemount and then hanging out in the garage of the member who is hosting the get-together. I'm guessing details will be posted tomorrow or Friday in the Group Discussion area. See you Saturday!

Bill Burton

I just checked again and was reminded that the information is already there. Meeting time is 9:00 Saturday morning and the address of the restaurant is given.

Bill

Cool! I joined the group, and I will come on Saturday!

I have looked at going to Hennepin tech to a fair degree as it is the closest to my home. However, looking at the night class schedule would be tough to sort out with my work schedule. Not impossible, but buying a lathe and watching youtube videos looks easier :D. I will take a closer look at Dunwoody.

Well that didn't take long. Turns out dunwoody has a "machine shop fundamentals" Monday night course that looks like what I need. I'm not usually a fan of having to go into Minneapolis, but I will tough it out.

Well, I went to an open house at Dunwoody a few weeks ago. I met a few former students that told me about what they have to offer. Dunwoody sounds like a very impressive school. However, both of the students I met somewhat urged me not to take the Monday night class I was looking at. Long story short, the Monday night class is designed for employers to send their employees to, and get an understanding of how things get manufactured, but for people that don't actually need to do any metalworking themselves. Sounds like it's basically for designers to understand the limits of what they can design. The students told me that as someone who wants to learn how to machine, it wasn't really going to teach me what I am hoping to learn. On top of that, almost all of their courses as well as the other votech courses in the area are 99% aimed at CNC work, which is interesting, but really not what I am looking to learn right now. So, I'm feeling like I'm back at square one. having a full time job just doesn't give me a free enough schedule to take most of the courses I am looking at anyway.

Yep, the night programs just aren't really there, it looks like. guess I was lucky back in the 80s.

My son got his degree by working second shift and going to school in the mornings.

I am just down the road from you in Belle Plaine. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have been learning from a friend in Jordan. I could probably introduce you to him if you are interested. He might not have the time to teach you as quickly as a school might but you wouldnt have to spend any money for tuition and he would be only a few minutes away. He has been teaching me how to use my lath and its been a good time I have learned alot already. We sometimes turn to drinking coffee and chewing the fat too much but that's okay cause it's all in fun anyway. He's going to teach me how to use a mill too even though I don't have one yet.

To bad you're not closer to St. Cloud. All the students there learn traditional manual machining first. Rows of Bridgeports, Clasuings and LeBlonds.

Back