[4]

Could use a mentor near Minneapolis, MN

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

DangerZone

Registered
Hey All,

I am brand new to machining. Technically, I got to use a lathe in highschool but I don't remember a ton. Other than that, I have just been reading all that I can find online. I don't yet have machines of my own to use, but that seems to be the first step/goal. I am just real fascinated in learning machining, but I don't know many people locally that I can bounce ideas off of.

wlburton

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Hey All,

I am brand new to machining. Technically, I got to use a lathe in highschool but I don't remember a ton. Other than that, I have just been reading all that I can find online. I don't yet have machines of my own to use, but that seems to be the first step/goal. I am just real fascinated in learning machining, but I don't know many people locally that I can bounce ideas off of.
As quickly as you can, join the Upper Midwest Machinists group (click on "Groups"). Your timing is perfect. We're going to have a get-together in Rosemount this Saturday, just so people in the group can meet and maybe talk about more get-togethers and networking in the future. We haven't had one in a couple of years. So far there are only seven or eight people who have said they're planning to go. Several of us are fairly new to machining, so you'll fit right in. We'll be going out for breakfast at a restaurant in Rosemount and then hanging out in the garage of the member who is hosting the get-together. I'm guessing details will be posted tomorrow or Friday in the Group Discussion area. See you Saturday!

Bill Burton

wlburton

I just checked again and was reminded that the information is already there. Meeting time is 9:00 Saturday morning and the address of the restaurant is given.

Bill

Karl_T

Consider enrolling in a votech for machining. that's how I learned, plus got to use a million dollars worth a of machinery. here's one program

DangerZone

Registered
Cool! I joined the group, and I will come on Saturday!

I have looked at going to Hennepin tech to a fair degree as it is the closest to my home. However, looking at the night class schedule would be tough to sort out with my work schedule. Not impossible, but buying a lathe and watching youtube videos looks easier :D. I will take a closer look at Dunwoody.

DangerZone

Registered
Well that didn't take long. Turns out dunwoody has a "machine shop fundamentals" Monday night course that looks like what I need. I'm not usually a fan of having to go into Minneapolis, but I will tough it out.

[6]
[5] [7]