Could use some design help with a belt grinder

My Jancy 2” x 42” is 3600 fpm, I also have a Burr-King, that variable from 3000 - 6000 fpm, I actually prefer the Jancy

Mike- nice work on Fusion. That is complex and beautiful.
I built a 2 x 42 that runs at about 5000 SFPM. It works fine but, I wish it were a touch faster.
I noticed you have all 3 pulleys crowned. I believe it would be better to have just the tracking pulley crowned and the others flat. It is important that the vertical post not flex or move. I think you have that covered.
Here's a pic of mine unfinished that shows the drive:

1518292169994.png

1518292217626.png
R

I noticed you have all 3 pulleys crowned. I believe it would be better to have just the tracking pulley crowned and the others flat. It is important that
I wasn't sure about that detail, thanks. Less work that way too.

I've got into discussions about crowning pulleys for flat belts. A really old Machinists Handbook says to only crown one or the belt will hunt.
Nice design rwm. Im tight on space so was planing on making mine a two wheel one to reduce the depth.
Greg

Nice design rwm. Im tight on space so was planing on making mine a two wheel one to reduce the depth.
Greg
Thanks, I started with three because it was going to be a 60" belt, but discovered it would take up more room than I want. As is, the height is good I think. Since I'm going to go with a larger wheel, I'll have to look at the setup again.

The other question is direct drive or belts. If you go direct you need a 6-7" pulley at 3450 rpm. If you use belts you can run a slower motor (1725) or a smaller drive wheel and use pulleys to get the correct SPFM. That's what you see done on a lot of these. Burr King seems to prefer a 2:1 drive. I like the simplicity of the direct drive.
Also, think about some type of enclosure to hook up dust collection if you have it.
Robert

Last edited:
It's meant to mount directly to the grinder and stand. I still have to true up that side of the grinder and if I can't get rid of all the run-out, I may resort to in-direct to remove vibration. The pulley size depends on the SFPM issue we've been discussing, but I have changed to a 6" drive pulley now. Gotta love parametric CAD, change the pulley size, and everything else changes to suit. Hoods and such still have to be added.

Back