Couldn't Pass It Up

dlane

Active User
Registered
Picked up this Peter wright anvil $ 30.00 at a garage sale today , ied guess the weight at 90# .
Top is flat ,corners a little rounded , it is a little rusty but should clean up nicely , did the ball peen test 85% rebound

image.jpeg
It's a little lighter than the Hay Budden anvil so I'll prob sell the heavier one.

Nice looking anvil. I have a peter wright. 128 lb iirc. What are the 3 sets of numbers at bottom? First set is 0. Bet it rings good to.
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Atlas , the # s are 0 3 21 , it is 21" long ,10" tall , 4" wide .
I'll take a wire wheel to it and oil it down tomorrow, probably tie it down to a stump or build a stout base
Thanks

Should weigh 105 lb.
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

That's probably rite I guessed about 90 , but I ate my wheaties this morning :grin:
Thanks for the info jack , forgot how to do the old English waight thing

Could you describe the ball peen test for me? I bought an anvil sometime back that says USA on the side. After quite a bit of searching I've come to the determination I bought what they call an ASO " anvil shaped object". Pretty disappointed really. Oh well, it's hard, heavy, and mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chip , the way I do it is , hold the med size ball peen handle end in two fingers over the horn like a hinge 90* Let it fall so ball hits face, the rebound of the hammer is what counts , more rebound the better. Could also drop a large ball bearing from 12" over face center see how far it bounces back up.
Hope this helps

Back