Couldn't take the heat any longer.

I'd say this thread is a 'shoot the bull' session, off-topic and hijacking doesn't bother me at all.
Besides, Other's stories & insights along with cars makes for neater discussion than some dude resurrecting a (20)yo AC. :grin:
I don't want to hijack, but it's your thread....Clone is made to be, not a real SS I bought it as a representation. I got bored with car shows, and I'm a drag racer at heart, so when I got it it had a 454, 4 spd that disintegrated, and was replaced by a 5 spd. When it started rotting I took the body off mini tubed the rear, put in a Ford 9" 4.56 , new after market non synchronized 5 speed, and the new engine is a short deck 572" (950ish). I put in the roll cage to go back to the track. The tires on the roll off are 10.5 x 31 Ws, and there is a street version tires too, so it can still cruise the highway.

Is there an Entomologist in the house? :grin:
Having managed to finally get the surface plate into the shop, -=- Here -=-, and having the AC going, (somewhat) I was hoping to let it soak for a couple of days and then putz around with leveling it.
Well, the Invasion of the Yellow Jackets had other plans. (at least that is what I think they are.)
When I headed out to the shop finally yesterday, there were several buzzing around their nest entrance at the door jam.
I had crammed some paper towel soaked with spectricide into the crack in the middle of the night. They chewed through it of course.
Funny how skittish you get after being stung a couple of times and lose a day from the body's reaction.
Ducked inside, hearing a slight buzzing coming from in the wall, set my coffee down, and then heard louder buzzing.
There was a group of them ganged up on inside of the windows of the overhead doors, they must have found a interior crack in the wall.
And there went my attempt at climate control. Opened all the doors, and grabbed my coffee to go finish it on the porch.
Shop was at 78°/60% before I had to open the doors. Felt good.
By the time I called it quits around 10pm last night it was 84°/79% and that's with (5) fans going all day.
84° is doable, the 79% humidity is what gets to me. @Bi11Hudson & Others who can, - I don't know how you handle it.
Honey read that the wasps don't like eucalyptus or peppermint oil, guess what I'm making up a batch of today?

0727201407_R.jpg...1596038341381.png

a can of that expanding spray foam and a day checking for gaps and filling them would be worth the investment. It'll save on AC and also keep the critters out :)

a can of that expanding spray foam and a day checking for gaps and filling them would be worth the investment. It'll save on AC and also keep the critters out :)
I'll need at least a 100+ cans. The dude who built this garage put 4" of insulation in the ceiling, and -none- in the walls.
So let's see, 25'x25', studs on 24" centers, * 96" * 4" thick :grin:

But that is a viable idea for the area by the door, drill a couple of holes from the inside during the night and shoot some foam into it.

I feel your pain :) I didn't mean to fill between the studs, just any cracks between planks or frames that allows cold air to escape or bugs to get in. Making the space more airtight basically. For the walls, it might be worth getting a few batts of R13 or R19 insulation and insulating the side that gets the most sun. That'll get you the most bang for the buck at least. I put a mix of R13 and R19 on my garage door, which gets full sun until noon and it made a huge difference. Also helps keep the heat in during the "winter".

I didn't get to the foam tonight.
Though I did notice at sundown that they are entering on the right hand side now... :bang head:
I have a feeling I know how this plays out for the rest of the season...
I did spray the area with a good dose of eucalyptus oil and vinegar. And then I noticed one of the vertical slats up high is split about 3/4"
They did the siding with local roughsawn 1x12 with vertical 1x3's over the gaps and it's starting to show it's age.

Yes, insulation would be good, unfortunately The PO put up wafer board through out the garage. Make for nice cavities for the critters and insects.
Two things I SHOULD have done as we were moving in - check for insulation in the walls, and re-wire the garage.
Hindsight being what it is.

I feel your pain :) I didn't mean to fill between the studs, just any cracks between planks or frames that allows cold air to escape or bugs to get in. Making the space more airtight basically. For the walls, it might be worth getting a few batts of R13 or R19 insulation and insulating the side that gets the most sun. That'll get you the most bang for the buck at least. I put a mix of R13 and R19 on my garage door, which gets full sun until noon and it made a huge difference. Also helps keep the heat in during the "winter".

OK, well, eucalyptus oil concoction didn't do the trick...
Foam and caulk on the 'To-Do' list today.
Going to be a PiTA figuring out where they are getting through inside. I have the walls loaded with stuff.

that's a real pain having to deal with an existing set up like that. I'd do as much as you can from the outside first. Another option to think about for insulation if it's available where you are is polystyrene blown in fill. All you need to do is drill a hole at the top of every wall cavity and blow the insulation in, then patch the hole, no need to take off any dry wall or the like.

Back