Couldn't take the heat any longer.

I was born and raised Northern Arizona, 7000 ft. This town has never officially seen 100 degrees. I have lots of family in Phoenix, and east of there.
As a kid, that summer heat made me sick. I thought it could not be worse. I was wrong.

20 years ago, I went fishing with my brother in law in NE Oklahoma, the weekend after the 4th of July.
I have never been so uncomfortable in all my life. I have no idea how you guys can deal with the humidity.
The line about "It is a dry heat" is for real. I will take 110 degrees and 10 percent over 85 and 85 percent ANY day.
100 degrees and 100 percent would be lethal.....

Well, I fear the ol' Amana hasn't got it anymore. Temp is down & holding - 78° but it's not bringing down the humidity.
I kept the garage closed all day and checked it a couple of times today. It's 9000 BTU, might not be enough for 24x24'.
I may take the dehumidifier out of the basement and try it for a day or two in the shop and see if that helps.

I was born and raised Northern Arizona, 7000 ft. This town has never officially seen 100 degrees. I have lots of family in Phoenix, and east of there.
As a kid, that summer heat made me sick. I thought it could not be worse. I was wrong.

20 years ago, I went fishing with my brother in law in NE Oklahoma, the weekend after the 4th of July.
I have never been so uncomfortable in all my life. I have no idea how you guys can deal with the humidity.
The line about "It is a dry heat" is for real. I will take 110 degrees and 10 percent over 85 and 85 percent ANY day.
100 degrees and 100 percent would be lethal.....

I grew up in the hot humid south and love it. Except now in my 50s the humidity is getting harder to handle. And stopped visiting family in NE Oklahoma in summer. They do 100/100 routinely. :eek 2:

Lived in Mesa, AZ for 8 years, when you're walking across a parking lot and you notice your eyeballs are hot you know it's too hot.

Then we moved to Northern Michigan for 10 years. One of those winters when the whole Great Lakes froze over from the polar vortex we stepped out the front door, made a right turn and kept walking past the end of our street all the way over to the other side of the bay.

Now I'm in Santa Cruz where it's cool in the summer and hot in the winter. Can't complain at all:grin:

John

Two cents worth: If you can"t stand the heat, git outta tha kitchen.

With that said, I reside in central Alabama. In the 'possum Valley region. I worked in foundries and steel mills all my life. Yes, it was hot. And in recent years, there was a lot of air conditioning around. But my specialty involved being out working on the machines, around the hot iron and steel. When I came into the "office" to report a job complete, the air conditioner made me sick.

I'm 70 this year and still don't have an air conditioner at home. Makes me feel miserable and wife gets sick. It has hit 105F in the shade, though not yet this year. What the heat "index" was, I have no idea. When it's too hot to work, I find a fan. When the fan blows hot air, I simply don't work. There's dozens of ways to keep the bosses at bay. That didn't come out right. . . I use a fan where it's required and don't work close to the molten steel. Even in the winter. . .

The mill staff is "politically correct", in that salt tablets have been outlawed. I kept my own private stash of salt and used it when the "GatorAid" like mix wasn't enough. Yes, I'm complaining. We, as a people, lived for a few thousand years without A-C. It has only been the last 50 or so it was even available. Being used to the heat, living with it, and having good air circulation works fine for me.

My biggest complaint is staying warm in the winter. A fire is fine, but my house doesn't have a fire place. So I have to use a gas furnace. When it gets cold, I wear a jacket. I have ridden a motorcycle all over the country (long time ago) in weather so hot and winter so cold that the bike was a problem to get running. It can be done, ya just got to set aside creature comforts and do it.

90's here also. Glutton for punishment so I went into the field and weed eated all day. Drank a bunch of Gatorade.
I read a book one time that included a boy growing up in the Midwest on a farm in the 1800's. When day time temperatures got too hot they did their field work at night.
The author mentioned their eye sight was very good back then? I don't know about.
Just saying....

I have lived with and without A/C in central Texas. I have found that you (well at least me) will acclimate over a few weeks or so to living without A/C. It is a combination of behaviour changes, like doing the hardest work early in the morning, Naps in the afternoon and if needed, more work in the evening. Lots of fans and an obsession with shade. I also think there is a physiological component as the first few weeks after moving from A/C to a non-A/C life, seem unbearable but after around 3-4 weeks, it just becomes really hot. There are even a few pro's to living without A/C. First you will find you don't need as big of a house as you will spend much more of your time outdoors and of course you save a lot of $. If your neighbors also do not have A/C you will get to know them very well as they will also be spending much of their time outdoors and this builds old-school communities. Now having said all of this, I will still choose A/C if possible.

I have always admired those that have/can work in the steel mills and foundries. I don't know how they do it.
I did a stint at US Steel South Works (40) years ago but it was outside on the scale piles sorting and cleaning them up.
The area we were working in was next to one of the slag cooling pits, and that was as close as I got to 'heat'.
Also have been in foundries during pours while troubleshooting tooling nearby. Not pleasant at all.

The problem I'm having is that since my heart attack several years ago, I don't sweat properly or at least like I use to before the attack.
At times it feels like I'm wrapped in a blanket and I get nauseous and my head starts pounding.
I usually get by with using fans and a wet neck wrap, but this season has been more difficult for some odd reason.
I have 4-5 fans going and when I added up the AMPS off of their tags, I figured hell, I could run an AC for that...

I tried for a few days, holed up indoors and then going out after the sun went down, but it was still too bloody humid.
And the problem with humidity is that it aggravates allergies making it difficult to breathe with exertion.
And even with the fans going all night long the shop was not cooling down.

We have definitely become 'soft' and rather reliant on air conditioners.

Two cents worth: If you can"t stand the heat, git outta tha kitchen.

With that said, I reside in central Alabama. In the 'possum Valley region. I worked in foundries and steel mills all my life. Yes, it was hot. And in recent years, there was a lot of air conditioning around. But my specialty involved being out working on the machines, around the hot iron and steel. When I came into the "office" to report a job complete, the air conditioner made me sick.

I'm 70 this year and still don't have an air conditioner at home. Makes me feel miserable and wife gets sick. It has hit 105F in the shade, though not yet this year. What the heat "index" was, I have no idea. When it's too hot to work, I find a fan. When the fan blows hot air, I simply don't work. There's dozens of ways to keep the bosses at bay. That didn't come out right. . . I use a fan where it's required and don't work close to the molten steel. Even in the winter. . .

The mill staff is "politically correct", in that salt tablets have been outlawed. I kept my own private stash of salt and used it when the "GatorAid" like mix wasn't enough. Yes, I'm complaining. We, as a people, lived for a few thousand years without A-C. It has only been the last 50 or so it was even available. Being used to the heat, living with it, and having good air circulation works fine for me.

My biggest complaint is staying warm in the winter. A fire is fine, but my house doesn't have a fire place. So I have to use a gas furnace. When it gets cold, I wear a jacket. I have ridden a motorcycle all over the country (long time ago) in weather so hot and winter so cold that the bike was a problem to get running. It can be done, ya just got to set aside creature comforts and do it.

I've been roasted in Houston and frozen in Boston. Despite all the rules and regulations, Cali weather is a good compromise
Shoot, now we can't even buy xylene here anymore, and I think methylene chloride paint remover is outlawed too
-M

Back