• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

[4]

Counterbore Tool Issue

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

petertha

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I bought some mixed brands of HSS capscrew counter bores & its becoming obvious some are not cutting well. First I thought it was a 3-flute vs 2-flute thing. But upon closer inspection, the cutting edge is not consistent. Viewing from the side, some have what would form a flat bottom hole. Others have a slope meaning they would cut deeper out near the edge & shallower in where the pilot stub is. Not like an outer pip either, its a linear taper. The better quality (happen to be 3-flute euro) are all flat bottom. What makes me suspicious is the angle &straight are from the same set - almost like they messed up the grinding relief. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the whole objective of a capscrew counterbore to be flat across the bottom, not tapered?

woodchucker

Titanium
Former Member
yep. sounds like a quality control issue, or lack of it.

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
They're pricey but well made; Alvord Polk.

[6]
[5] [7]