Counterfeit Mitutoyo 6" Calipers Id?

Have you put in a fresh battery? Low battery condition can give erratic readings. You probably know this buy I thought I'd ask.
Yep! Several different new batteries over the past five years or so. The weird thing about it, one day they will measure ok and the next day or week later, starts acting up. And I do use the "SR" Silver Oxide batteries in them as Mitutoyo says to use.

Time for iGaging calipers, affordable and as good as Mitutoyo IMO.

My 20 year old pair of Mitutoyo digital calipers still work and are still nice, but they miscount loosing about .012" per inch of travel. So in 6" it looses about .072". It been cleaned and it still does not read correct.

How do you clean it, I'm asking because my older Mitutoyo calipers go a little wonky about once a year. I clean them by peeling the label off of the back to access the screws and take the head apart, then clean the internals with alcohol. They always work fine after that (at least for a year or m0re).

Bill

i had a fowler caliper for about 20 years till i dropped it last year and parts went everywhere ;-(

Have you put in a fresh battery? Low battery condition can give erratic readings. You probably know this buy I thought I'd ask.
Dial, no batteries needed as they are operated by a rack and pinion.
The newest Mitutoyo tools that I have bought have an etched QR code on them.
12" dial caliper bought new last year, $298.00 from MSC
mitcaliper_zpsewwof0vu.jpg

Dial, no batteries needed as they are operated by a rack and pinion.
The newest Mitutoyo tools that I have bought have an etched QR code on them.
12" dial caliper bought new last year, $298.00 from MSC
Mitutoyo dose make make nice calipers (they set the standard IMO). I still have a 6" dial that works great since 1980. The reason I went with iGaging is I was in need of a 12" and the performance rivals the Mitutoyo digital at 1/3 the cost. Any future digital calipers I purchase will be iGaging. So easy on my tired eyes and wallet.

Compare the lock button. The fakes look different. Also, the voltage meter test will give the fakes away.
Best thing to do, buy from reputable dealers only. You can also send it in to Mitutoyo for inspection. Hold the closed jaws up to a diffused light and make sure you can't see light coming through, fake or no fake. This is important.

Mitutoyo dose make make nice calipers (they set the standard IMO). I still have a 6" dial that works great since 1980. The reason I went with iGaging is I was in need of a 12" and the performance rivals the Mitutoyo digital at 1/3 the cost. Any future digital calipers I purchase will be iGaging. So easy on my tired eyes and wallet.
I have no problem with low priced tools, however I use them 40-50 hours per week 50 weeks per year and often do not treat them as if handling someones infant child (-:
I use Mitutoyo, Starrett, Brown & Sharp and Mahr for everyday tools but will buy less expensive brands for occasional use, SPI are decent quality.

Just bought a new Mitutoyo .7"-1.4", .0005 resolution dial bore gauge, $318.00 plus freight from Viking Gauge, haven't recieved it yet so don't know if is a knockoff or not.

Thank you all for the reply. I am reporting that I never received the calipers and got full refund already.
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Back