Countersinks- Single flute/Zero Flute....?

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I own and have used a variety of countersinks, most are Keo and Melin. Single flute, multi flute, zero flute, cobalt, HSS, etc..in 82 and 90°, which is what I use most often. Size range from 1/8"-7/8".
Using slow speeds, I get the best results but sometimes I get some chatter which results in munged up countersink op.

What are you gentlemen using that gives the best results? in steel and non ferrous materials. I use mostly tool steel, mild steel (1018 1041), aluminum, bronze, copper and brass. what works best with what? I try to countersink right after I drill a hole to keep things lined up.

Single flute and the Weldon zero flute ones is what I prefer. Multi-flute C'Sinks have the tendency to chatter regardless what you try to do to remedy the chatter. Generally have to run very slow to keep the chatter out.

May I ride on this thread and ask if anyone can identify this type of countersink? I have searched all over and have no idea what they are called.

adjustable two flute.jpg two flute close.jpg

David

Are the zero flute CS's easy to sharpen? How?

Why is Weldon CS so popular? Is it the range that they can CS? I have not seen another CS brand that has this range.

Are the zero flute CS's easy to sharpen? How?
If you're a DIY like me, Weldon used to make a sharpening fixture that was an accessory for your T & C grinder. I have one I picked up several years ago and have not used it to this day. Like Rustrp said, "send them out for sharpening".

EDIT- The fixture has a one lobe cam that is used in the sharpening process. And depending on the diameter of the countersink, you have different height lobes to choose from. There is a little hit and miss using this this of sharpening fixture, too.

Back