Countertop granite surface plate substitute

Considering I use to only have a peice of plywood as a measuring surface the cutout from my sink was an upgrade.
But I don't do NASA Level preciesion work.
So a Height Gauge and a sink cutout have been a great improvement for me.
Maybe someday I'll be where I'd rather throw my money on tooling at a surface plate vs a new end mill that will actually cut.
Budgets being a part of life some of us just have to make do.

Nothing wrong with granite cut outs. I have several in the shop I use for everything from working on carbs to mouse pads.

My granite surface plate lives in a drawer however. its still “factory fresh” because I have the granite cut outs to handle the quick, little dirty work that doesn’t require the absolute precision (light sanding, hard surface, etc) of a surface plate.

Not everything needs 0.00015 precision.

They’re all different in tolerance as well. Granite countertops are worked to be smooth and flat to the touch, not to a tight tolerance.

So they have their place, just have to use them appropriately…

Yep, I have a bunch of pieces of 12"x12" granite tile that I use for low quality and dirty work. Good size for backing a piece of sandpaper.

Nothing wrong with granite cut outs. I have several in the shop I use for everything from working on carbs to mouse pads.

My granite surface plate lives in a drawer however. its still “factory fresh” because I have the granite cut outs to handle the quick, little dirty work that doesn’t require the absolute precision (light sanding, hard surface, etc) of a surface plate.

Not everything needs 0.00015 precision.

They’re all different in tolerance as well. Granite countertops are worked to be smooth and flat to the touch, not to a tight tolerance.

So they have their place, just have to use them appropriately…
I too have a sink cut out, because I worked in residential new construction and have connections to get good cut outs for free, and I own a bunch of hand planes, jointers and planers that cutting tools that need sharpening. Granite with sand paper glued to it is also great for restoring hand plane soles... and lapping old cast iron surfaces salvaged from machine tools.

Because you dont want to use a good inspection plate and risk damaging it.

BUT I much prefer corian cut outs, because you can engrave on corian, it makes a great substitute for expensive boxwood plates, you can laminate corian and turn it on a lathe, mill it, so many uses aside from a flat surface

I'm glad I ran into your post. With the help of your replies, I've discovered different ways of turning, milling, and shaping some raw materials. Still, I barely take measurements accurately. But, without a ruler, I cut out two wooden countertops for a rustic house's bathroom and kitchen sinks. But my wife says the wooden countertops began to soften from the water. So I want to replace them with quartz ones. I Googled articles from manufacturers and read how do they make quartz countertops. I know that Quartz is an artificial material made of granite, stone, and marble. It's too complicated, and I'm unlikely to do it alone.

Last edited:
Back