Couple of Tooling projects I did.

brasssmanget

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am by no stretch of the imagination a machinist, so bear that in mind when viewing these items. I had some free time and a few ideas of things I wanted to have access to, so I fabricated some home shop tooling. One thing I wanted was a ball turner attachment, so I devised/fabricated out of things I had laying around. Framework was cut to size from 2" X 3" bar stock, handle from a log turner set we discarded and a piece of Browning 1919 30 cal barrel I cut off for a different project. A few bushings, set screws, etc. and it kinda came together. May not look great, but it works - I tried it out. :eek:

Another thing was some sort of spider locking ring for the rear of my headstock when turning barrels (hobby stuff). Kinda self explanatory in the pictures - turned some 2" bar stock, drilled, tapped, and knurled a little.

Lastly I improvised my collet draw bar wheel after finding I needed better gripping qualities for tightening with oily hands, so I cut in some finger lugs - nothing special, but I thought I'd share some pics so I'm not just a lurker here in peoples eyes. :biggrin: I've only been working with a lathe for about 4 months now, but it sure is a lot of fun for me!

newbuilds.jpgnewbuilds2.jpg

newbuilds.jpg newbuilds2.jpg

Nice projects, Was just thinking of making something to turn my lathe spindle by hand & need to get back on my ball turner too.

Nice job on those tools, You mite want to try some nylon screws in the spider if your holding barrels.

I really like the ball turner, Its nice to make things and having stuff on hand to do it.

Paul

Back