Covid has hit home for me

Yes, the numbers are all over the map. Hopefully with test kits more plentiful we will begin to see a more accurate accounting.
Every time I run the numbers for infections and related deaths, I come up with .0—-%.
To me that is very good news. I don’t see why they compare this to the 1918-1919 Spanish flu as the death toll world wide was around 20%. Yes it’s very contagious but not nearly as deadly thank God.

In the US there are 3.37 million identified cases with 137,000 deaths, that is 4.06%. Even if there was a 10-1 ratio of unidentified infected the mortality rate would still be higher than the flu which is around 0.2%.

We are in the early stages still, only 5-6 months in. The 1918 influenza killed 200,000 Americans in 1918, but another 500,000 in 1919. With modern medicine we are still quickly closing in on the 1918 mortality numbers.

The History Guy has done a couple of videos on the 1918 "Spanish" flu, the first one is 2 years old so from before the current situation. The second one is 3 months old, he basically did a sequel due to the interest generated by current events.

Back