Covid has hit home for me

Social distancing, wearing masks and other measures are not going to stop Covid. They are, however, in place to slow the spread to prevent the health care system from being overwhelmed.
Some of the lowest death rate numbers I have seen for Covid are around 3%. The death rate for the flu is .01%. When people say this is no worse than the flu, I ask them when was the last flu season where they parked refrigerated trailers outside of hospitals to receive the dead.

Alloy.... I hope you neighbor pulls through this. Statistics mean nothing when someone you know is in the fight of their life. My wife and I had a distant family member pass away from Covid. Yes, they were in a nursing home but most likely would have lived a few more years if it wasn't for COVID.

I work for a company of around 10,000 employees, and have so far have had 36 onsite infections. It may well be worse than that though, because that number doesn't include those working from home who may also have it.

What's extremely frustrating is that the health and privacy laws prevent the company from posting the names. As a result, the company has to ask the infected person "tell us every room in every building you visited over the last week and every person you've been around." Oh yeah, no chance of forgetting a room or person. The RIGHT way is to post the name of the person and ask whether anyone had contact with them. Nope, and it's pretty obvious that these privacy laws never considered the case of a pandemic.

Last edited:
I work for a company of around 10,000 employees, and have so far have had 36 onsite infections. It may well be worse than that though, because that number doesn't include those working from home who may also have it.

What's extremely frustrating is that the health and privacy laws prevent the company from posting the names. As a result, the company has to ask the infected person "tell us every room in every building you visited over the last week and every person you've been around." Oh yeah, no chance of forgetting a room or person. The RIGHT way is to post the name of the person and ask whether anyone had contact with them. Nope, and it's pretty obvious that these privacy laws never considered the case of a pandemic.
If I am not mistaken, privacy laws pertain to release of that information without the authorization of the individual concerned. Every time I visit the doctor, I sign away HIPAA rights.

Right, and HIPAA is exactly the wrong approach to deal with a pandemic, but at least this way, there won't be any lawsuits - no facepalm emoticon...

One of our departments shut down yesterday because someone tested positive . Every mechanic goes thru that department 20 times a day .

Yes, the numbers are all over the map. Hopefully with test kits more plentiful we will begin to see a more accurate accounting.
Every time I run the numbers for infections and related deaths, I come up with .0—-%.
To me that is very good news. I don’t see why they compare this to the 1918-1919 Spanish flu as the death toll world wide was around 20%. Yes it’s very contagious but not nearly as deadly thank God.

I know/knew two people directly that have died of COVID. Unfortunately every bit of COVIUD news, stats, and advice is now fully and completely politicized. By the rules, this is a non-political forum... one of the reasons I've been hanging here more lately. I get bombarded with the "news', crap, and outright lies from both sides every place I turn on the web. I will not stand for someone spouting off one side and calling the other side derogatory names here. Doesn't matter if I agree or not. savarin, congrats on being the first on my block list.

Guess i don't get it. I went back and read his post and saw nothing about politics in there at all. Should I be reading between the lines ??

It's a tough time and yes people have different opinions. the beauty is everyone is entitled to their own. :)

From what I understand it is easily spread like the flu but not highly contagious like the measles.

I just wish we could get good reliable information. The number fixing is even going on at the county level. I found out our county judge was asking his friends who showed no signs of infection to go get tested because more negative tests looks good on the paperwork he files for the state.

I also found out from a friend of mine, who is a firefigher in another district, that they had a person killed in a motor vehicle accident. The autopsy showed they were infected, so it went down as a corvid death, even though that wasn't what killed the person.

It makes it really hard for anybody to make sense out of what's going on when you have this level of idiocy.

I'm the fire chief of my community's VFD. I've told my guys to limit exposure to anyone at a call, and to stay as far from the county EMS personnel as possible.

This discussion is probably the most respectful back and forth about covid that I've come across on the wild web. Another reason to keep coming back here. I don't agree with everything that has been said but at least it was said well and with some thought put into it and without insulting anyone. For the anecdotal cases that would make me think that the numbers are too high or too low, I personally just come up with a factor in my head that cuts through the noise. My reasoning is that even if X%-Y% of the cases are "they were going to die anyway" or "politically motivated" or "economically motivated", well we still have a problem. It is easy to get caught up in the news. The viruses? They don't watch the news.

Back