Covid Project for my work-lighting questions NOT A SHOP ITEM

silverforgestudio

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hey guys, gals, folks, friends and fellow tinkerers... Hope this note finds you ALL safe, well and in good spirits! It has been a while since I have posted thanks to life, job change, side hustles and other crap getting in the way... And now- the Covid is upon us...

So I am a paramedic in my "Real" job and have been tasked with a few projects for my company (thanks to my tinkering hobbies). Im trying to build a few items to aid/assist in sterilizing things with UVC bulbs... problem is- I have never played with CFL or UV Ballasts in designing a light system...

Ive been given a box of 36 Watt, 106 volt, 0.44 amp 2g11 (4 pin) bulbs. These are in spec for the needs of the project- I just need to figure out:
  1. What ballast I need (How do you read the darn things to know what I am looking for?)
  2. Can I run more than one lamp off a single ballast?
  3. How do I calculate the "Draw" to know my total amperage load (the device will be operating on a 110v 12 amp outlet)
  4. The build will use 6 lamps in one "unit" and 4 in the other "unit"
I am aware of the safety issues with electricity, UVC and playing with machinery... not being sarcastic- just putting it out there I am serious about my own health and realize the gravitas of the task at hand.

The whole deal will be wired through a set of pressure switches/lock timers in a cabinet and timed with an Arduino for data logging/variability. That part comes next- proof of concept is first.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance and I pray all are safe and well this beautiful weekend!

Last edited:
I take it that these are fluorescent lamps without the fluorescent phosphor so the raw mercury spectrum is emitted. DIY stores sell ballasts dor the 2g11 lamps. I have a pair of lamps that I refitted with the LED replacement lamps. They had high frequency ballasts.

From the spec you gave, I'm guessing that you have 50 watt lamps. As far as I know, it is one lamp per ballast. I would figure on .5 amp/lamp for a total of 5 amps or around 600 watts.

Thanks my friend- the lamps are 36W each- I edited my post to reflect this after reading your reply-

Thanks for the 1 per ballast nod- that is the way I am leaning for simple construction but I am reading things like 2-lamp series and rapid start versus soft start, Magnetic (old style) versus electronic... Im getting lost!

Back