Covmac lathe restoration, any examples in the USA?

hermetic

Active User
Registered
Hi guys, here is a link to the rebuild of my other lathe, a 13" geared head Covmac, made during WW2, not in Coventry, but in Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire, UK, by P&C Garnett, a textile machine manufacturer, as war work. I would be interested to know if any Covmac lathes made it to the USA, because although Covmac machinery for making nuts and bolts turns up all over the world, the lathes seem to only exist in the UK., Hope you enloy it!
Phil, East Yorkshire
UK

Attachments

• IMGP2663.JPG
    IMGP2663.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 26
Very nice looking lathe, though I doubt there were many (or any) imported to the USA.
Looks as though you did a fine job bringing the lathe back to life.

I agree, A Very Nice looking machine. Anything that is unique to this lathe that you could share with us?

Well, apart from the red clutch bar running the length of the bed, which shifts left/right to start/stop the machine, it is pretty conventional. It has a very wide saddle, gap bed, and the saddle runs on two vees, rather than a vee and a flat like the Colchester. Thanks for your interest and kind words!
Phil, East Yorkshire
UK

The bar that controls the clutch is a great feature: an E-stop that can be reached from anywhere. I like it.

Quite so, and the chuck stops fast as well, although the max speed is only about 450 rpm! Thanks for the interest, I will do some more video of it running amd turning soon, I am going back to work tomorrow, dont feel 100% but I am bored, and I am itching to get on with stuff!
Phil

Back