Cracked Gib!

Izzy

Registered
Registered
Hey guys, i asked this in another thread but got no response figured i should start a new thread for this. i found a cracked gib in my compound slide when i was taking my lathe apart for thorough inside and out cleaning! its a tapered gib and the crack runs about half way down the gib. i dont have any pics currently but i can get some next weekend when im at the machine. my question is can i fix this or will i have to make my own? i dont think ill be able to find a replacement as its vintage lathe and the manufacturer no longer exists... heres a link the original thread i asked the question in if anyone was wondering...
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/new-to-me-mckenzie-lathe.52122/#post-436421

Hi Izzy,

I am now "watching" both this thread and the previous one......somehow I missed the previous one.

I know I have seen a discussion here about replacing gibs, I'll see if I can re-find it.

-brino

Izzy,

Sounds like a good project for that new mill of yours :)

Ted

if you have a longitudinal crack in the gib, replacement is the best option.
cast iron or hard bronze would make excellent gibs

Is this a tapered gib? Or is it straight or has parallel sides with a parallelogram shape?

Izzy,

Sounds like a good project for that new mill of yours :)

Ted
I think so too! I had to get some work done to the motor and winter just hit here pretty hard! So things are being put on hold for while but I'm doing what I can in the mean time!
if you have a longitudinal crack in the gib, replacement is the best option.
cast iron or hard bronze would make excellent gibs
I'd probably have to go bronze as I don't think I could get cast iron square stock? How would I go abouts doing a cast iron gib?

Is this a tapered gib? Or is it straight or has parallel sides with a parallelogram shape?
its tapered and has keyway along the top of the non tapered edge I'll have to get a picture next time I'm at the machine.

http://www.speedymetals.com/c-8389-category.aspx

i'd also like to see the picture of the broken gib, i can only speculate without a body .

you can duplicate the gib easier if you have a milling machine.
...but somebody, sometime did it with a hacksaw and a file.
if the gib is short enough you may be able to mill it in a lathe

Last edited:
Possibly silver solder it first and see if that works before making a new one??

Just the rantings of
CHuck the grumpy old guy

Might work fine if is were silver-brazed, plus you could get some more accurate dimensions off it if you're careful with the repair. Silver-brazing is good for many things. And I mean the good stuff. BAg-1 (45% Ag) would be good to keep around the shop, along with the proper flux.

I wouldn't mind giving brazing a shot I mean I really don't have anything to lose. What would cause a gib to crack anyways? The gib adjustment screw is stripped so I have a good feeling it was just over tightened but there was also paper jammed in there I dunno if that coulda caused that too.

Back