Craftex CT043N - No Power and No Wiring Diagram

pengfire

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

My Craftex CT043N lathe suddenly stopped working on me this afternoon. I’ve got power at the plug, the relays buzz when I try to activate but no power light and no motor. I searched through my manuals thinking there was a schematic somewhere (there’s not one included in the operating manual that came with it, of course) but no luck. I seem to recall that I had to draw one up many moons ago but, alas, my memory ain’t as good as I once was. Does anyone have a copy to spare?

(Full disclosure: when I moved it the last time, I put it back too close to the wall and will have to move it out to access the electrical panel regardless. If anyone tells me it’s printed on the inside of the cover, I’ll have my donkey suit ready...)

Cheers,

Steve

It may be in the panel, look at page 13 of the manual, electrical connection they mention shceme in panel

You may as well get ready to move the machine from the wall, as you are going to need to start pocking around with a multi meter to isolate the problem.
It could be as simple as the blown fuse or the whole motor is burned out. I had the motor on my Machine Tools Warehouse lathe burn out and blow smoke from too frequent starting and stopping.
The Busy bee manual has very little as far as the circuitry, so we may as well look at the Precision Matthews and Grizzly lathe. The fact that the power light is is not running suggests that the problem is up stream of the contacts and motor, though saying that the relays are buzzing suggests that light bulb is burned and hiding a deeper problem.

So start with moving the machine, then segmenting the circuit and probing terminals for voltage should there not be anything obvious like burn marks or a circuit breaker tripped. Check continuity across the fuses and relay coils. Is voltage being delivered to the power light suggesting the prior mentioned possibility? Does the transformer deliver a voltage to the control circuit?

1584797245208.png

Most likely it's a switch problem- check the reversing switch and all the safety switches
Using a multimeter on ac, monitor the voltage on the relay coils- are you seeing 24 volts there? The one labeled "KA" above needs to close first before the machine can run
-Mark

Last edited:
Super helpful gents - thanks! I’ll do some poking around (now that I’ve got the schematic) and post the results.

My CT043N was made in 2012. FYI the motor start capacitor had to be changed when the motor became sluggish to start. Also the reverse switch was hit and miss because it was poorly aligned to the cam on the control shaft. But your trouble sounds like it is a bit different. Please let us know what you find. Ditto what Alexander wrote about using the Grizzly 0750G manual, most of it applies to our lathes.

I know this post is old but I just realized that I hadn’t provided my results from last year. I won’t go through all the troubleshooting (non-matching schematics, both online and yes, printed on the inside of the electrical cover panel; unterminated jumper wires jammed into the same contacts as the thermal relay; unlabelled wires and components - the list goes on) but everything checked out alright after some general clean-up. I even took off the motor and tested it separately - no problems. I cleaned up the centrifugal switch and checked the capacitors just to assess the condition before reinstalling and again, no issues. It turns out that the problem was a single poorly crimped wire on the terminal strip, right before the motor (it separated with just a little pull).

All things considered it was a good exercise in becoming familiar with the machine’s electrical operation and shortcomings. And I have full access to the panel now since I moved it away from the wall...

Many thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and stay well in 2021.

Steve

Back