Craftex CX-601 Mill DRO Installation

bmw rider

Active User
Registered
I bought this mill acouple months ago to compliment my CX-701 lathe for machining projects. I haven't had a lot of time to use it yet, but knew pretty quickly a DRO was something I wanted on it. I ordered the kit from DRO Pros and got around to installing it this week. The best part of doing it was it gave me a need to use the mill to fabricate some of the mounting blocks for the Y axis scale. It was a bit challenging to get that one installed taking pretty much a full day (not really a full day, just the part between my night shifts at my regular job). The X axis was pretty easy after that as it did not need any mounting blocks or brackets, just some drilling and tapping of holes. Then all that was left was to tidy upo the cables and the rest of the job was done today.

Mouting block for the front of the Y axis scale
IMGP0769-2.jpg

Rear mounting block
IMGP0771-2.jpg

Y axis scale mounted
IMGP0772-2.jpg

Spacer for the trolley bracket
IMGP0773-2.jpg

X axis scale mounted
IMGP0774-2.jpg

Shield in place - held on with 3M Dual Lock
IMGP0778-2.jpg

Cables secured and tidy
IMGP0775-2.jpg

Ready to go to work
IMGP0779-2.jpg

IMGP0769-2.jpg IMGP0771-2.jpg IMGP0772-2.jpg IMGP0773-2.jpg IMGP0774-2.jpg IMGP0775-2.jpg IMGP0778-2.jpg IMGP0779-2.jpg

Great job on the install!

I just bought that same mill this past Friday, and would like to install the same dro as you have shown. Your post will be a big help to me. Thank you for posting. Where do you live? I am in Barrie, Ontario.---Brian Rupnow

bmw rider--I have questions I would like to ask you about tour DRO set-up. My email is brupnow@rogers.com. If you send me your phone number I will call you.---Brian Rupnow

I'm downloading those pics - getting close to ordering a DRO from TPAC tools. Nice, clean install.

I certainly glad that I talked to the original poster in Calgary. It turns out that particular mill, (which is what I have) turns out to have a travel in X of 23 1/2", not the 16 1/2" it is advertised as in the brochure which comes with the machine. I wouldn't have checked, and would have ordered to short a scale if I went by the brochure. Thank you bmw rider.--You saved me from making a costly mistake.---Brian Rupnow

I am interested in purchasing the CX-601 instead of the cheapest knee mill that busy bee sells. Are you still finding it a good machine now that you have had a chance to use it for awhile?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The mill has been working quite well for me. I've added the optional power feed for the X axis which makes things easier too.

Ok, since I am now thinking of a DRO and power feed for my machine, (should have bought when dollar was stronger), can I ask where you obtained yourpowerfeed? The sources I am seeing so far are Shars and Enco, both US companies and I don't think either ship to canada. Would be grateful for suggestions. (DRO Pros for the DRO) thanks.

Back