Craftex CX601 Conversion

Hi Thriller,
Actually I teach mechanical engineering at college level and more specifically CNC machining - so after I modeled the parts up I put them on a HAAS VF2 and machined them. Still tinkering on setting up the machine - need to be cautious not to overload the tools. Bought a set of TTS collet chucks and the CVISE1 from Busy Bee.

Well that definitely makes it easier to make parts. You wouldn’t happen to want to make an extra set would you wink nudge nudge. I mean an assignment for one of your students. I’d really be doing you a favor. LOL

Machining was done during weekends on material I purchased specifically for the parts needed. Design of said parts depend on your choice of ballscrew/ballnut combination and I'm not really sure that the overall dimensions would work out of the box. A big part of the conversion is the electronic's of it all. If you want some specific info as to how I've done it, feel free to ask. Parts can be outsourced locally if needed. Helps if you have/know a CAD package (SolidWorks, Fusion 360, ...) .

As luck would have it, managed to destroy plastic gear on first few cuts made with the machine. Literally went up in smoke. BB won't have part until december, will need to find another solution.

IMG_0575.JPG

Well here we go ... modeled up the intermediate gear and sending off to 3D printer. Might just try out ABS or carbon fiber filament.
Here's the 3D model if someone needs it!

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• CX601 Gear.step
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
Looking to control the spindle RPM with the Centroid Acorn board instead of playing around with the potentiometer. Just bought a KBSI-240D board and will be looking into how to connect this to the machine. If anybody has done this already, would appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Sorry for the delayed response ... got metal from local metal supplier and yes, I have access to CNC Mills (HAAS VF2, VF3, East Lion, Kitamura) and Lathes (GoodWay, Topper, Doosan Lynx with sub-spindle). All parts were done on the HAAS VF2.

Machined them myself
Hello sir, new to the forum we are looking to do the same modifications as you have done to our cx601, would you mind sharing your step files for the brackets you came up with? have access to a friend who can machine the parts for me.

Looking to control the spindle RPM with the Centroid Acorn board instead of playing around with the potentiometer. Just bought a KBSI-240D board and will be looking into how to connect this to the machine. If anybody has done this already, would appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
coming from previous experience on my 5x12 cnc router build I could help you with controlling that if you haven't figured it out yet.....will be doing mine.

Need to make sure that the ball screws are the same so the bracket dimensions come out right.
Here are the files that were used for machining.

Attachments

• X-AXIS TABLE MOUNT.STEP
    252.3 KB · Views: 11
  • X-AXIS TABLE MOUNT LEFT.STEP
    263.9 KB · Views: 8
  • X-AXIS TABLE MOUNT-DROP.STEP
    252.3 KB · Views: 6
  • y_nut_CNC.STEP
    51.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Y-AXIS TABLE MOUNT - SHORT.STEP
    157.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Y-AXIS TABLE MOUNT.STEP