[Lathe] Craftman/dunlap 109 Sn. Worth Looking At?

TonyL

Registered
Registered
Saw this on CL. Is it worth taking a look at? Thank you.

upload_2016-6-4_19-22-7.png

It's not a SB but it is a nice starter lathe. If it has gears with it it might be a good start.

That's a rare 109. Snatch it up!

Only a few have surfaced of that model.

Good lathe if the price is right? But then I cannot advise you on a price since it is you buying it not me. It's worth whatever you wish to pay for it.

"Billy G"

So you pass on the Logan you could have gotten for "almost nothing" and are considering this one they are asking $900 for? Just say'in.....

Gentlemen please, it's his money, his choice. None of us has the right to put a price on his happiness. I collect Machinerys' Handbooks, how much would you pay, as a non-collector, for a pristine First Edition? I know what I paid and it would make most of you shudder. Did I think the price was high, YES, but I needed it and wanted it for the collection. MY CHOICE.

"Billy G"

If you are buying a first lathe, My opinion is to find a good southbend if you want a small lathe. I had a lathe like that and quickly outgrew it.
Find a Southbend with a taper attachment. Be patient.

Last edited:
If you have a $2k budget. I would not consider any lathe that does not have a quick change. Even if it is a starter lathe. If you find the lathe is not for you. Then the resale value and ease of reselling is far easier with a lathe that has a quick change gear box. If you have ever tried to sell a lathe that is flat belt and with no quick change I think you know what I’m talking about.

Back