Craftsman 07301 back gear

ffletcher

Registered
Registered
Restoring a 07301 lathe that was my father's. Machine is good condition throughout, but for a missing tailstock ram lock lever, broken/missing cross slide handle and a damaged back gear (image attached). Left it in original paint (grey), as it was fairly intact and still running the original motor! Seeking a serviceable back gear like the image. I will and do appreciate any leads that might be offered, even if it is an intact lathe, headstock, or even the complete back gear assembly. Thanks.
back gear.jpg

Maybe drop a line to Joel at http://www.mymachineshop.net/
He has a lot of parts for Atlas and Craftsman machines and even if it’s not on his page right now he might keep an eye out for one.

-frank

Have purchased parts from Joel . Good person. He even printed out a parts blow up for my Atlas lathe and parts list for me. Very happy dealing with him.

For the record and anyone else's interest, I shared an image of the ID plates from my 101.07301 lathe. S/N is 6L 025395. I have no idea as to when it was manufactured.
IMG_4142.jpg

I picked up a back gear from a Craftsman mill that is dimensionally identical to the lathe back gear. The mill gear is steel, while the original gear in the lathe is zamak. The mill gear fits perfectly using the shaft from the lathe, yet I worry that the steel gear may ruin either the cone pulley or the bull gear, or both due to differences in hardness between the steel mill gear and the zamak cone pulley and bull gear. Thinking that the relatively slow speeds involved if back gear is engaged might mitigate differences between the meshing gears. Any advice or thoughts, especially from anyone with direct experience with this issue, would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, the mill shaft is considerably longer than the lathe shaft and the mill locking collars are also much thicker than the similar lathe parts. Happy to post images, if anyone would find them valuable.

Back