Craftsman 07301 flea market find

If you don't run in it reverse is doesn't need to be very tight at all.

GREAT score.

Nice score @FanMan if the ID tag is still on it , it's on the back side of the bed . What you have there is a Atlas MK1 6" 101.07301 , badged Craftsman .
http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman6inchmk1/ As far as it's actual date of manufacture , I don't think there is a way to tell , the 6" was made roughly 39-57 . It's predecessor (but from what I understand they were made along side each other) is the 618, it came with Timken spindle bearings , a 10tpi x 1" spindle and some other stuff . For mine I would like to get the factory stand but for right now I bought a HF stand and shortened it up .
DSCF2431 by mark westi, on Flickr

Last edited:
I don't mean the chuck on the spindle, I mean the tightening of the chuck onto the workpiece.

FanMan,

As a rough rule-of-thumb, about as tight as you can get it without lengthening the arm on the spanner, using one hand.

That's a great piece at a great price. Congrats!

if the ID tag is still on it , it's on the back side of the bed . What you have there is a Atlas MK1 6" 101.07301 , badged Craftsman .
http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman6inchmk1/ As far as it's actual date of manufacture , I don't think there is a way to tell , the 6" was made roughly 39-57 . It's predecessor (but from what I understand they were made along side each other) is the 618, it came with Timken spindle bearings , a 10tpi x 1" spindle and some other stuff . For mine I would like to get the factory stand but for right now I bought a HF stand and shortened it up .

Yes, the tag is there. Good link. The HF stand looks like a good option, though I may build a wooden stand. I'll probably sandwich a metal chip tray (an oil drip tray from the auto parts store) between the lathe and the stand like I did with my mill.

FanMan,

As a rough rule-of-thumb, about as tight as you can get it without lengthening the arm on the spanner, using one hand.

That sounds like more torque than one could oppose by holding the belts... is that within the strength of the reverse gear?

The Atlas 618 (and for a few years the 612) came out in the Summer of 1937 and was made with no significant changes except for two revisions of the Countershaft Assembly up through the Summer of 1972. The differences between it and the 101.07301 were those associated with sleeve bearings on the spindle, the spindle nose threads being 1"-8, and the 101.07301 started and ended with the second version Countershaft Assembly. From the Summer of 1957 until 618 production stopped, the 618 was also produced for Sears as the 101.21400.

OK... now what about collets? I have the 3 jaw chuck, but the toolmakers at work use 5C collets for nearly everything. Can't use a 5C, of course, but I can get a set of MT2 collets and make a drawbar, or a set of ER collets with the MT2 shank for twice the money but a slightly wider range of sizes... but either way the solid 3/8-16 drawbar means I still couldn't turn the end of a long piece of stock extending through the spindle. I guess that's just the way it is with these small lathes?

I did the MT2 set up it was cheap and easy . Only problem is that the MT2 collet won't go all the way in the spindle . The factory way was to use a sleeve in the spindle that excepts a 3c collet . With that set up you have a thru hole spindle . Here are the goodies that Atlas offered .
http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas-6-inch-lathe-accessories/

Last edited:
Back