Craftsman 101.07301 half nut cam

I am not familiar with your model number. I have the Atlas 618 and it came with spare parts as shown in the picture. The actuator is one piece with a square end that fits into the square on the handle.

long feed parts.JPGlong feed lever.JPG

David

Looks like what you had was a total kludge from the previous owner/butcher
The new part should work much better no matter which way you attach the handle
I was never fond of the dimple style technique, using 90 degree setscrew(s) makes more sense to me
At least one of the previous owners had no “feel” for mechanical repairs/adjustments. There were several parts overtorqued and/or broken and quite a few hack repairs. Regardless, it’s a good machine for me to learn on. In my experience, learning how something works and repairing it are the best ways to learn.

At this point I am leaning towards the set screw method of attachment. I really only need a way to hold the handle on so it doesn’t fall off during operation, the flats of the square shank will handle all of the rotational forces.

Fixing a messed up machine is sometimes the best way to learn- and for many of us it's a big part of the fun

Last edited:
The 101.07301 (made by Atlas and sold by Sears) and the 618 (made and sold by Atlas) are mostly the same machines except that the former uses an earlier version Countershaft assembly and has sleeve spindle bearings and a ball-type thrust bearing. The carriages are the same.

If it were mine, I would convert the half nut lever assembly to the new style by drilling, countersinking and tapping the end of the scroll's square shaft and making a washer to go over the square hole through the lever.

Last edited:
Back