Craftsman 101.21200 Direct Drive Collar

Printer

Registered
Registered
I just found this website today while searching for help. This is such an informative site that I’m sure I’ll return often.
I recently purchased a Craftsman 101.21200 lathe at an auction. It and the accessories were in a dimly lit basement covered by a brown film. It was mounted on a very well built and extremely heavy steel stand (185 lbs.). It appeared everything was there so I bid and won the auction.
After getting it home and started cleaning it and the parts I made a discovery. What I thought was a thin layer of rust ended up being some type of rust preventative that came off easily with solvent. After cleaning it and inspecting all the parts I’m convinced this lathe is “new” and never used. The pulleys don’t have any belt markings, the accessories are untouched, and not a microscopic chip anywhere.
My question is ... I was unable to move the direct drive collar in and out by hand as I should be. The original alignment marks were there so I gently tapped the collar in with a nylon hammer to engage it. But now, I’m unable to pull the collar out by hand. I have been spraying it with penetrating oil but no luck. The carriage was actually glued to the ways by the brown substance and I suspect that the collar is stuck to the spindle the same way. I would like to remove, clean, and lubricate everything so it works properly.
Does anyone have any suggestions of how to pull the collar out and remove it from the spindle without damaging anything?
Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions!

If you have a heat gun, go over the area in question untill the rust protectant starts to melt and run. If it's glued because of that rust inhibitor then that should be enough to release the grip.

Well, I’m happy to report that your suggestion worked exactly like both of us hoped it would.
I heated the collar area for about 20-30 seconds and sure enough, the inhibitor turned to a liquid and began running out. At that point I sprayed it with WD40 and began working it in and out. In no time it was working smoothly, the way it was intended.
Thank You!!

Back