Craftsman 101 lathe project. The pivot

disc42

Registered
Registered
I am new to this forum. I am restoring a Craftsman 101 lathe I rescued from a junk man. I always wanted one for small projects around the house. I'm having a bit of a problem because the compound was missing. I found one on Ebay but it didn't fit. The pivot hole was too big. I solved that problem with a 1.5 in to 1.25 in bushing. It fits nicely but the t-nut slot is odd ball and I can't find one. My question is has anyone ever seen a compound with a 1.5 pivot hole. I don't know what brand of lathe it came from. The Ebay seller didn't know either. Any help would appreciated. Thanks Jim Collins

Jim, your lathe can make a T-Nut, just figure out how to secure a piece of steel to the compound and how to hold an end mill in the spindle.

I can use the three jaw chuck to hold the end mill and I have a compound vice I might be able to mount to the cross slide. It's worth a try. Thanks

Be very gentle with the end mill in the three jaw chuck. It can work, but then again it can work out.

Not real thrilled about that option either. If I wasn't so far from my old hommies I could have them make me one. I just need to find out what lathe this compound came from. The t-nut dimensions are small. Bottom slot .770 th. x .220 x .590 slot width x .500 overall height. If I try to tap a piece just for the bottom slot I want have many thds.

Back