Craftsman 101 QC thread chart: need a decent picture

guckrob

Registered
Registered
Hello I've got a Craftsman 101.28910 and the Quick Change gearbox Thread Chart is missing. I don't intend to pay $25 or more for a replacement, but I thought someone here with the same QC could take a decent picture of theirs so I can print it. There are a lot of pictures on the web of these but they are all from an angle or have a glare. If someone could take one perpendicular to the plate from their phone, etc I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Rob

These are in the Atlas/Craftsman section of Downloads under Lathes and then Thread charts & Metric. However, access to Downloads requires being a donor (because Downloads is one of our monthly expenses). So here is a PDF with both Atlas and Craftsman versions. First page shows the two standard Imperial charts. You should be able to scale and print it. Much better than a photo as the drawings aren't curved.

Attachments

• QCGB MM-Inch Thread Charts Atlas and Craftsman.pdf
    182 KB · Views: 32
These are in the Atlas/Craftsman section of Downloads under Lathes and then Thread charts & Metric. However, access to Downloads requires being a donor (because Downloads is one of our monthly expenses). So here is a PDF with both Atlas and Craftsman versions. First page shows the two standard Imperial charts. You should be able to scale and print it. Much better than a photo as the drawings aren't curved.
Thank you very much. I'll become a donor here in a bit as that alone was worth it.

OK. Note that the later drawings in the PDF showing mm pitch instead of tpi are to go with the article titled something like A 30-second Metric Conversion, which is in the same folder in Downloads. The article applies to Atlas and Craftsman lathes equipped with a factory supplied QCGB and involves replacing the two 44T gears that drive the GB with a 52T/44T compound gear set. With the sliding gear in the OUT position, the lathe and gearbox are as original, cutting inch type threads. If the sliding gear is moved to the IN position, and the banjo tightened up, instead of 4 to 7.5 tpi, you get the metric pitches shown on the other charts. The accuracy is not close enough for you to machine a metric lead screw with. But is plenty close enough for other purposes. Any selector position that does not have a pitch number shown will result in a thread pitch not close enough to any standard pitch to use.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot--these were a perfect fit as-is. That amazon laminating machine made short work of them so I've got eyes on.

I should have the lathe turning on a temporary bench this week and I'll post some pics and then I can focus on getting the permanent bench under construction.

it looks a little ghetto, but it'll certainly fly until I can shake the lathe out and make sure it's a keeper. Thanks again

ghetto.jpg

It looks fine. :tranquility:

Yours looks like it was hanging out in a hospital operating room compared to how I found mine...

Atlas168_gears_before.jpg

Yes, the tumbler lever was broken off when I got it.

BTW, all this greasy crud washed off pretty easily with a brass brush and paint thinner and/or a bit of degreasing spray ("Super Clean"). I did have to pick bits of swarf out of the gears, however. Most of the change gears that came with it looked like they spent very little time--if any--actually on the machine.

Craig

mine needed a lot of clean-up, but I think you win on that front, Craig. The good effect of being short a few parts yet is that there isn't anything to do except obsessively clean and debug various parts of the machine, which will save me time and trouble in the end. Glad I found this site.
Rob

If you never cut threads, about two change gear setups would be all that you ever used. So it's quite possible that some of your change gears have never been on the machine.

Back