[4]

Craftsman 108.22921 bs (Covel made) guide question

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Pirate

Registered
Anyone know if it's possible to make the guide bearings work with a .025 blade? There is an adjustment for tilt, but none I see for blade width.
Any help? .020 blades are not as readily available, compared to .025.

Richard King 2

Master Machine Tool Rebuilder & Instructor
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Im not exactly sure what you need. But when I need a guide bearing or bushing I call these guys. http://gobeilco.com
they have a lousy web site,,,lol
They are in St. Paul MN and have been making and selling them for over 50 years.

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
My horizontal Rong Fu bs says .020 blades , I’m using .025 blades but my roller guides are a little adjustable and the thicker blades work fine.

Pirate

Registered
One guide bearing on each side is adjustable per the manual that can be found here.
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/222/5221.pdf
Thanks. When I loosened the guide bolts, and turned the shaft, the bearing didn't seem to move. I'll dig deeper. I was thinking of drilling out the bearing shaft hole, to allow adjustment. .020 blades are hard to find. I would like to use the .025 blade I now have.

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
It says the roller with out the flange is adjustable. You may have to take it off and clean it up.

Richard King 2

Master Machine Tool Rebuilder & Instructor
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Small world..Vintage Machinery is run by my friend Keith Rucker and anyone who might like to learn to hand scrape, I will be teaching a class at his shop in GA next January. PM me if interested

Pirate

Registered
It says the roller with out the flange is adjustable. You may have to take it off and clean it up.
I took the bearing shafts out, and the one hole is oversized to allow some adjustment.
I adjusted them as wide as possible, and it still bends the blade.
I don't see anything to do, but, drill the hole s bit more oversized. Sounds drastic, when, somewhere, I read someone said they used .025 blades on their 108.22921.
Wishwas me!

Pirate

Registered
I took the bearing shafts out, and the one hole is oversized to allow some adjustment.
I adjusted them as wide as possible, and it still bends the blade.
I don't see anything to do, but, drill the hole s bit more oversized. Sounds drastic, when, somewhere, I read someone said they used .025 blades on their 108.22921.
Wishwas me!
I drilled the holes out for the guide axels and all is good. Went from .43 to .50" Now I can use the .025 blades.
Saw cuts very nice.

[6]
[5] [7]