Craftsman 109 (Dunlap) back gear engagement - need pics

NCpatrol

Registered
Registered
I have a Craftsman 109 that I bought a while back and I just realized that the engagement screw for the back gear is missing.

Reading the manual, it says there should be socket cap screw that you slide inward toward the spindle and tighten to engage direct drive and slide outward and lock the pin to engage back gear. I see the slot, but the screw and nut are nowhere to be found.

Does anyone have a good picture of these parts? I've googled and really haven't come up with anything. I have a mill and other lathes so I should be able to make a replacement, but I really can't picture how it works.

If anyone happens to have these pieces laying around and could post pictures and/or dimensions, it'd be much appreciated.

Edit: I just found this pic on GJ and realized I actually have that thumbscrew but with the screw part broken off. It came in a box with some other tooling with the lathe and I figured it was just old scrap.

So I'm just missing whatever "nut" is in the slot. I'm kind of picturing a oval nut with a flange that locks in that slot from the inside the loosening thumb wheel lets you slide it in and out.

109.20630_back_gear_2.jpg

Last edited:
OK...so a little more googling and I found this picture:
img26.jpg

And made this sketch of what I think is going on there.
nut.JPG

Pretty sure I can pull the back gear assembly apart and figure out the right dimension for the square locking part and the oval part that fits in the slot should be easy too.

Solving my own problems with enough googling!!

Well, after pulling the back gear apart, I found the broken piece of the bolt floating around in the planetaries so I was able to get accurate measurements and make a replacement. The broken par tat was in there appeared to already be shop-made, but it looked like it worked so I copied it. Easy fix and she's back together and working.

IMG_20190129_203319.jpg

It is probably a good thing that you found the rest of the part and were able to make a replacement. You didn't give your model number but all that the parts manuals tell is the "official name", which is Locking Pin and the part number, A-3115 for the 109.20630. No real help!

Back