Craftsman 109 lathe

Hi deadeye. I am an owner. There are a lot of these things out there. They are nice and small, and are a real lathe. They are, however, limited in capacity and have some quality issues. Some people say that an import mini-lathe is better to start off with. Do you have one? Is it a basket case, or is it just working poorly? Or, do you just want to connect with some others who use these machines?
I am looking for people who have a Craftsman 109 and South Bend 9 who use thier machines and who have made improvments on their machines

I am looking for people who have a Craftsman 109 and South Bend 9 who use their machines and who have made improvements on their machines . I will post some photos of my own soon

Hi deadeye. I am in the same situation. I have 2 109's and a South Bend 9. Currently, I am working on a toolpost for the South Bend. It was stripped before I bought it.

do you have any measurements, I have som extra tool post of various sizes. Lantern type

This is something I have been working on , tool holders just for my 109's they work with home made tooling as well. By home made I mean broken tooling that has been refigured to fit. I get an ample supply of center drill and square tool bit that have been broken by students who have not learned yet how to use same.

20180810_133614.jpg

20180810_133625.jpg

20180810_133644.jpg

20180810_133654.jpg

20180810_133711.jpg

Hi deadeye. I've got some just like that! In fact, I am using one on my South Bend. It is not very stable because it needs a riser. But, it doesn't have to be. I think it just did it's last job: a quick change tool holder with a pretty beefy tool block and column. I still have a bit of milling and drilling work to do.

Thank you for the offer of the South Bend lantern toolpost. I actually have a lantern on the way, but no armstrong tool bit holders. This is more of an original look kind of thing, since I hear that the lantern doesn't work all that well. But, since I already rough forged it, I may as well complete it. It is very low priority, though. And a whole bunch of other priorities have come in.

Hey yall. Dunlap 109 owner here. looking for information. plus I'm missing a few parts. Tailstock is one i'm missing.

Hi corbinstein. I have a whole bunch of 109 stuff, but I am kind of far away. One of them I really want to get rid of, the other is pretty useless, but there is some sentimental attachment. I used that one to get a basket case South Bend 9 running. The SB is just such a superior lathe I don't pay attention to the 109's any more.

Back