Craftsman 12 inch repower

rockyrude

Registered
Registered
I am looking to repower my craftsman 12 inch lathe. The 1/2 HP just isn't making it. What size should I be looking for? Is 3/4 HP good or should I go 1 hp? I don't do alot of heavy cutting.

Does the cutting you are doing bog down the motor? I doubt that you could use 1 HP on such a lathe.

i put a 3/4HP, 2 speed motor on my hercus 9" when i had it
3/4 hp was plenty and i push pretty hard

1.5 or 2hp 3 phase with a VFD

You won't be sorry....

John

A little extra power is nice even if you don't "need it."

I am planning to use a 3/4 hp dc motor on my Atlas/Craftsman 12" if I ever get my rear in gear and set it up
-M

1/2 HP should be plenty. Sounds like either the motor has something wrong with it or there is something wrong with your cutters. If you do buy a new single phase motor, don;t exceed 3/4 HP. And do keep and use the stock 8-speed drive assembly. And don't go below about 800 RPM on the motor as below that speed it will tend to overheat,

My Craftsman 12X36 (101.27440) runs a 1/3 HP motor. I don't do commercial or heavy work though. I have stalled the spindle through poor setup or practice. But the motor didn't stall, the belts slipped. I run the machine with a 120 V, single phase Baldor Farm Duty motor. That motor is Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled, NEMA class TEFC. A little overbearing maybe, but I like those motors. And the price was right. . .

If the machine is "free", as in "loose", anything over 3/4 HP is like using a howitzer as a flyswatter. For serious shop use, 1/2 HP should suffice. I would look more toward the motor than the lathe. Not so much "underpowered" as the motor is not putting out rated power. Chinese motors are rated by current draw rather than "Prony Brake" torque. Many American manufacturers also now follow this practice to stay in line with "international standards". Baldor, as of 10 years back (or so), still follows the old school standards.

In my opinion, if you need a stronger motor, maybe you need a larger lathe. As in you're taking too heavy a cut. I can run 0.075" DOC on aluminium for roughing work. Usually I take less because of the size of the stock. As noted, I have stalled the spindle with the belts slipping. To power through that situation could conceivably damage the machine. And the motor will cost much less. Get a good Baldor 1/3HP Farm Duty motor at about the same cost as an Emerson 1.0 HP. Note that I am not up to date on prices, I am comparing prices at a theortical level.

Same here. I have never stalled my original Atlas 1/2 HP motor. I have had belts slip when I do something dumb, like engaging the back gear without releasing the bull gear pin.

I stand corrected I guess. Never owned a Craftsman 12x36 but the 2hp 3p motor i put on my Samson (Tida) 12x36 is just about right. Maybe it's built a little stouter.

John

Back