Craftsman 3x6 horizontal bandsaw

See if you can grab the blade with gloves on on flip it inside out. That wasn't very clear. Not sure how to say it...

Or, you can put a foot down through the loop and then turn it inside out at the top of the loop. just tried it myself. works.

Tim

I have one of these saws I'd like to put into service so following this with interest.

tc

That works. Took no effort at all to flip the blade inside out. Now the teeth are pointed to the left and the saw cuts. Thank you, Thank you.

On to the next problem I am having. The blade guide rollers are held in place by a snap ring. As the rollers turn they put pressure on the snap ring and the snap ring pops out of the little groove that it sits in. Then works its way down the shaft until it eventually falls off. I have tried to clean up the groove. That didn't help. I am thinking about threading the shaft for a lock nut. Any other suggestions.

I'm having the same problem, hadn't thought of a solution other than replacing the snap rings.

tc

I found the manual online and have downloaded it to my computer. I have been reviewing the parts diagram and the washers are different sizes and thicknesses on the outer rollers verses the inner rollers if that makes any sense. Also the outer rollers have a washer between the felt and the saw guide bracket that the inner rollers don't have. My problem is on the outer rollers. The guide roller shafts are the same. My outer guide roller shafts show evidence of galling. So I am swapping the inners to be outers to see if that makes any difference. My inner rollers appear to be all original. On the other hand the outer rollers have a mishmash of different size felts and washers. I wonder where I can get the felts. If getting the correct washers in the correct positions doesn't solve the problem then I will thread the shafts and put a lock nut on it.

That's where I am right now.

Might have solved the problem with the snap rings coming off. I picked up some 1/4" push nuts and pushed them onto the shaft. Did a couple of test cuts and all went well. Got a pretty straight cut too. Within what I would expect for a hacksaw.

McMaster sells heavy duty snap rings which should hold on a lot tighter.

Thanks for the suggestion to McMaster-Carr. The snap ring I would need is 1/4." The smallest MC heavy duty snap ring is 1/2." I think part of the problem with the snap rings is that the groove has worn allowing the snap ring to easily slip out of the groove.

The band saw is running and makes an ok cut. I like to oil my machines every time I use them. All of the oil points (wrong term??) are one of those little spring loaded balls that push down to let the oil flow down to where it needs to go. Only problem is no oil ever seems to go in. The oil just runs over the top. I tried cutting the tip of my oiler at an angle so the point could depress the ball. The tip will depress the ball but no oil seems to go in. I tried a point on a nail to hold the ball down and still no success.

What am I doing wrong? Or what do I need to be able to oil the band saw?

What am I doing wrong? Or what do I need to be able to oil the band saw?

I've found ball oilers to be frustratingly difficult to actually get oil into until I switched over to precision needle bottles. I buy them from McMaster (https://www.mcmaster.com/1902t127-1902T47) and absolutely love them. You can push the ball in with the needle then squeeze the oil in. The small hole helps me not waste a ton of oil. The size I linked seems to be a good needle gauge for oils up to Vactra #2.

You oilers might be crusted up inside. In that case I would drill them out, clean the hole, and install a new one.

Back