Craftsman 3x6 horizontal bandsaw

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Went to a farm auction last Saturday and sitting in an old shed gathering dust and rust for maybe decades was an old Craftsman 3x6 horizontal band saw model 101.22922. $40 dollars and it's mine. Here's a picture from the auction website.

Craftsman 3x6.jpg

Got it home and promptly started tearing it apart. Forgot to take a before picture. Oops. Everything seemed to be working except for the feed cylinder. Just lots of dirt and surface rust. I oiled the bearings in the motor and it is purring like a warm kitten. Next I started cleaning the rust and dirt off of the stand. A few hours later and it got a coat of black rustoleum. Another coat tomorrow. This is a 50' paint job. Looks good from a distance. What can I say? It won't win any awards.

On to the feed cylinder. My first thought was that some of the O rings might need replacing because it was leaking fluid as I fiddled with it. Took it apart and cleaned everything inside and out. All of the O rings looked Ok. Back together, mounted on the saw and filled it up with fluid. No leaks and seems to be working property. That's it for today. Saw is just sitting on the stand for the pictures.

IMG_3719.JPG

IMG_3720.JPG

Nice score! I bought it's brother last week. 108.22920 is it's number. If you need tires for it let me know. I found a place that has 6 inch rubber tires. They came in today, but I haven't tried to put them on yet.

The paint job is definitely permanent. Put a 2nd coat on this morning. I don't plan to paint the stand again in my lifetime. Voca thanks for the heads up on the tires. Don't know if I need replacements. Haven't got that far yet.

Thanks. I bookmarked the site. My gear looks to be ok. I cleaned it up yesterday and it has all of it's teeth. Was out running errands today. Picked up some light grey paint for the saw. Cleaned all of the little parts yesterday. Very little rust. Just lots of caked on dirt and grime. Underneath all of the dirt and grime was light grayish green paint. Tomorrow I will clean up the two big pieces and get everything painted. Should have the saw back together by Friday. I have lots of steel to cut up for various projects.

It is all back together. Doesn't look too bad. I think that I have everything adjusted properly. One tooth broke off of the plastic bevel gear. Doesn't seem to affect the running of the saw. I probably need to replace the blade. Haven't tried to cut anything yet. That will be the true test.

IMG_3721.JPG

Even with the old blade the saw cut fairly quickly through 1 1/4 square 1018. But the cuts are not even close to being straight. I cut oversize in anticipation of this. I will keep playing with the adjustments. I do not expect to get any kind of precision in the cuts.

Well I think that I am going backwards. Or at least not making much if any headway. I used my machinist square to square up the blade. That worked pretty good to square up the blade both vertical and horizontal.

IMG_3722.JPG

IMG_3723.JPG

I am running into 2 problems. Both might be caused by the saw blade. First the blade wants to slide down off of the guide rollers. In reading the owner's manual it states that this happens because the rollers are not tight enough against the blade. I have the rollers as tight as I can get them and the blade still gradually slides down off of the rollers as it makes a cut. The tension of the blade seems to factor into this. The other problem is that the blade sticks in the cut. This I think is caused by the blade being dull and old.

Suggestions please.

I got a new blade off of Ebay and the teeth are going the wrong direction. When looking at the new blade the teeth face to the right. On the old blade the teeth face to the left. There is nothing on the packaging that references the direction of the teeth. Did I just get a bad blade or am I missing something?

Since posting the above I have been looking at band saw blades and every picture I see looks like the the teeth face to the right. Are craftsman horizontal band saw blades odd balls?

Last edited:
Back