Craftsman 3x6 horizontal bandsaw

Thanks for the tip on what to use and where to get them.

Finally got some wheels off of Ebay. Without the wheels it was very difficult to move the saw. Now it is a breeze to move it wherever I want it.

IMG_3770.JPG

Happened to notice that the motor that came with the saw ran at 3450 rpm which I thought was high. In reading the manual the motor is supposed to run at 1725 rpm which gives a sfpm of 135. I have two drill presses. One is used for metal and the other is used only on wood. Their motors run at 1725 rpm. So I swapped the motor from the wood drill press. I didn't think that having a faster motor on the wood drill press would matter. I didn't swap the pulleys. I can adjust the speed of the band saw by changing which pulley I have the belt on. Currently it is on the smallest pulley which should give a sfpm of 90. I have also played around with the feed rate. Other than a faster cut I haven't noticed any difference with feed rate when cutting 1 1/4 x 2 1018 bar stock.

IMG_3771.JPG

Hello All, new Guy here. I recently picked up one of these Craftsman 108.22921 Horizontal Band Saws for a few bucks. It's now disassembled and waiting on cleaning. I will need new tires, can someone tell me where I can get them. I may also need one oiler, any source for these? Thanks - Jim

rhjo51 Contact VocaTexas. He knows of a source for tires.

I just picked one of these up and am currently going through it to make sure it is ready to go.
The cylinder on mine was in pieces so I am not sure I have it set up correctly. Would hate to mess up irreplaceable parts.
Anyway I am just confused as the bottom nut goes about half way before stopping but does not look to be damaged. Is this intentional?
Also confused about the cap. If you set the oil fill screw all the way in so it seals you cannot screw the cap all the way in which seems odd (and then the cap seal is worthless). And, finally, I am confused about the top knob... what exactly is it supposed to do to release pressure?

Thanks to anyone who can show me how all of this works. I am just happy that all the parts were there and not damaged. If anyone has found replacement seals and o rings that would be a good thing to have on hand.

Maybe it is just late and I should look at it in the morning.

Nah, the manual does not discuss any of my questions. I did notice this manual does have a slightly different parts list for the cylinder... good thing I wasn't trying to check against this one when I was putting it together. I'll be going out to look at it again in a few. I'm sure it will make more sense today.

What is the model number on your saw. There are a couple of variations over the years. Here is a link to the model that I have. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/222/5221.pdf

If you look at your parts the top knob is connected to a needle valve. As you turn the knob from 0 to 1 to 2 and so on you open the needle value which allows oil to flow from the bottom to the top. This in turn allows the seal/piston to go down into the cylinder at a controlled rate and controls the speed of the cut. This is explained in more detail in the manuals.

Can't answer your question about the bottom nut.

As to the fill screw do you have the correct length screw. It could have been changed over the years. The parts list for my saw lists it as a 10x24 x 1/4 long.

Yeah I took it all apart again and figured out the needle valve. It was screwed on so tight together there is no way that valve was ever going to move. Sure seems like everything is just going to spin rather then open and close but I guess it has been working fine for everyone all these years. I do not see anything in the manual explaining how this works other then to turn the knob which is obvious.

The bottom threads were indeed damaged so I cleaned them up and now the seal is nice and tight up against the guard. I'm pretty sure I have a 1/2 inch fill screw which I assumed was stock since the seal washer is there. I'll check the parts list but it is reasonable to assume it is the wrong size.

Thanks for the explanation! I'll get some pics of all the little pieces since I do not think they are posted anywhere.

Back