Craftsman 6" lathe value ?

Metalman73

Registered
Registered
Found this Craftsman 6" lathe for sale locally and am trying figure out what it's worth. I've owned several different lathes in the past but never one so small or a Craftsman and don't know alot about them. Not alot of tooling included. Looks like a 3 jaw chuck, micrometer carriage stop, tailstock chuck and milling attachment. Any help with value would be helpful. Thanks 20200726_171140.jpgScreenshot_20200726-160533_Chrome.jpg20200726_172539.jpg

lathe alone, maybe $250-400 depending on area and availability. Add another $50-100 for the milling attachment (depending on how much you'd want to use it) as those things sell for $100-150 alone on eBay.

I sold an Atlas 618 with a milling attachment a couple of years ago for $600.00 and I had a bunch of inquiries
to my CL ad. Lathe prices around here tend to be a bit higher than elsewhere however.

Similar milling attachments for 6" lathes have sold for $200 to $300 on eBay. The thru-spindle clamp bar and end mill holder would add to that value. The micrometer stop is valuable too - maybe $150 on eBay.

The value of the basic lathe would depend on what some local buyer is willing to pay. Shipping would be a hassle and costly so the seller probably wants to sell it locally. The local audience on Craigslist is much smaller than the national audience on eBay.

If I bought that lathe I would probably resell the milling attachment and use the money to buy a quick change tool post and some tooling. It looks to be in very nice condition. Check to see that the ways near the headstock are not worn.

Last edited:
The seller found this additional tooling. They are asking $600 for everything. Too much?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200727-142754_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20200727-142754_Messenger.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20200727-142731_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20200727-142731_Messenger.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
That could well be described as an exceptional deal, in my opinion. Just be sure you realize the capabilities and limitations of the machine.

Really just want something to tinker with. Maybe build a steam engine or something.

I enjoy mine. Can be challenging to hit dimensions, but it's workable. Countless projects like that have been made on Atlas lathes.

Not a bad first lathe. If your goals are modest you can do good work with it.
I traded mine for a much bigger machine that’s a project. For perspective on price a new mini lathe is $700 without any accessories.

John

Look on ebay, I have seen the milling attachment bring $200 and up.

Looks to be in good to very good condition, so $600 may not be bad, esp if you can get $200 or more back by selling the attachments you may not use. Around here, that would sell fast at that price.

Back