Craftsman 618 Half Nuts Disengage While Auto Feeding

I routinely take twenty-thousandths cut in aluminum on my 618, I don't find it excessive. With a freshly ground and honed tool with some good rake 50 comes off pretty easily too, but I don't do that often. Having said that though, if you are concerned about stressing something or overly taxing the machine, back off on the depth.

The objective, as I see it anyway, is to enjoy the machine for maximum amount of years and not necessarily to make the fastest or heaviest cut.

-frank

I don't know much about the model 618, but does the lathe have a clutch mechanism that disengages if it sees high torque on auto-feeding?

Nope, no clutch unfortunately. I think the larger ones do but not the 618.

I routinely take twenty-thousandths cut in aluminum on my 618, I don't find it excessive. With a freshly ground and honed tool with some good rake 50 comes off pretty easily too, but I don't do that often. Having said that though, if you are concerned about stressing something or overly taxing the machine, back off on the depth.

The objective, as I see it anyway, is to enjoy the machine for maximum amount of years and not necessarily to make the fastest or heaviest cut.

-frank

I agree with enjoying it for a long time, but I also think enjoyment is not standing there while taking skimming cuts when you've got like .5" of material to remove. But I guess that's what bourbon is for.

But good to know you take 20 thou off at a time, thanks for that info. I'm using inserts right now as I'm learning how to grind tooling. I am getting long stringy cuts in aluminum.

Thanks for the help everyone, hope you're having a happy thanksgiving. Those that are in the US that is.

Drop me a PM if you would like to get on the list. It’s not real long right now.

Back