Craftsman Atlas 12" x 36" Feed Handle Stuck

JDR

Registered
Registered
Hello,
I picked up a Craftsman Atlas 12" x 36" last weekend. Just got it in the shop and started cleaning it up. The longitudinal feed lever is stuck tight - no movement at all. The crossfeed / knob moves easily and the crossfeed works well.

I am planning on taking off the carriage this weekend. Before I get into this, has anyone else experienced a stuck feed lever? If so, what was the fix?

Thank you in advance. Will post pics soon.
JDR

“ The longitudinal feed lever is stuck tight - no movement at all.“
Check to see if there’s junk in the rack and pinion causing it to bind
If it’s the half nut lever , try to rotate the lead screw with the end gears while moving the lever, tumbler in neutral

The cross feed deeds to be disengaged pushed in for the carriage feed to move. and the half nuts need to line up with the lead screw to engage.

Gentlemen,
Thank you for the help. The half nut lever is stuck tight - even with the cross feed disengaged. I am hoping that it is something simple, like junk in the rack n pinion. I am planning on pulling the carriage this weekend and will let you know what I find.
JDR

When I got my 10F it had a bad crossfeed gear so I had to pull the apron off to fix it. The half nuts are actually operated by a slide arrangement, so I'm betting that all you need to do it very carefully disassemble it, clean up those slides and you should be good. Hopefully nothing is jammed/broken. I'm including some pics I stole off ebay to show what your looking at. Good luck, you'll love that little machine.

s-l16001.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

When I got my 10F it had a bad crossfeed gear so I had to pull the apron off to fix it. The half nuts are actually operated by a slide arrangement, so I'm betting that all you need to do it very carefully disassemble it, clean up those slides and you should be good. Hopefully nothing is jammed/broken. I'm including some pics I stole off ebay to show what your looking at. Good luck, you'll love that little machine.

Thank you very much. I did get the apron then half nut/lever assembly off last night. It is all gunked up with what looks like old varnish. I don't think that's what it is, but just looks like it. Whatever that gunk is, it is tough - everything is stuck solid. Luckily nothing is broken or damaged.

Everything is soaking in Kroil now. If the Kroil doesn't work I will try some acetone.

You're going about it in the right way, glad nothing is broken. Be careful prying or forcing anything, that slide, the gears and lots of parts are made out of cast Zamac material which is probably a little stronger than aluminum.

Back