Craftsman/Atlas 6", what have I gotten my self into?

Germans make a lot of excellent things. I absolutely love a quality German tool. I’m German, Russian, and polish with my surname being of polish descent.

I need to get out and work on my lathe but work has been kicking my butt and I can’t do much until I order and receive a tool post. I’m considering the QCTP from LMS.

My Grandmother was Polish, first generation born here. People often think my name is Polish but the whole hke vs ski thing...

I got their Craftsman/Atlas 6" kit and I like it. I didn't really have a usable tool post so the purchase was a no brainer for me. The carbide inserts seem to work pretty well too. I need to learn how to grind HSS as the one thing I have plenty of is blanks!

K

My Grandmother was Polish, first generation born here. People often think my name is Polish but the whole hke vs ski thing...

I got their Craftsman/Atlas 6" kit and I like it. I didn't really have a usable tool post so the purchase was a no brainer for me. The carbide inserts seem to work pretty well too. I need to learn how to grind HSS as the one thing I have plenty of is blanks!

K
You won't be sorry for that purchase 92VwGTI . When you get the post also get a 1" travel indicator mount it in the post and measure if there is any movement in the chuck . What you are looking for is actually movement in the spindle . Actually you could do that before you get the post . You can get a travel indicator set up for pretty cheap . I just put new bushings in my 6" and it didn't help because the spindle was worn out . I posted earlier about this so ignore this part if you already read it . My spindle was worn down about .006 , the spindle is not made anymore and a good one is hard to get so I split the bushing on one side drilled a oil hole I installed the whole thing and then carefully tightened up the clamp . I didn't have to over tighten very much and I got the spin wobble down .001 .
I'm in the middle of a project right now , the first thing I had to do was to machine down the head of a SS 5/16 bolt . this was not a real good thing to do on the little 6" because it is a interrupted cut (no lathe likes that) , I went slow the little guy handled it . One thing it had a problem with was when facing the bolt it didn't want to finish getting off the last little ti* . One thing to remember the bolt head is hardened a bit so I didn't push the last part , I just filed it off (it gets polished with a 3M deburr wheel , last op) . Next up I needed to make some spacers and 5/16 threaded bushings . optimum mat. would have been 316L SS no way was I going to ask that of the lathe and I wanted to get this done in hours not days , so 303 was used. It's soft , the spacers (12 of them) had a 5/8 dia. and a 5/16 thru hole and 3/8 wide . Drilling went fine and the part off went so well that I could of just left that finish but I faced them to size anyway . The threaded bushing had me a little concerned because it was 3/4 wide and I had to tap all the way thru but no problem . All in all the 6" preformed well my back not so much .

When checking runout on the spindle are you just rotating the chuck by hand?

K

I have some carbide insert bits and HSS blanks but I can’t for the life of me get the cutter set low enough on the lantern that came with my lathe.

When checking runout on the spindle are you just rotating the chuck by hand?

Usually, yes.

Be sure that you lock the carriage lock while checking chuck runout. And be ever more sure that you don't forget to unlock it!

So I'm a traitor.

I've been looking for something bigger for a while now, it didn't take me long to realize a 6" lathe has it's limits. A few Atlas machines came up but none were really what I was looking for. For what ever reason a handful of South Bends popped up locally and after looking at a few I'm the owner of a "new" 9A.

Not sure if I'll keep the Craftsman, I keep going back and forth. I like the machine, it was fun to make right but I'm not sure I need it. We will see, I'm keeping it until the 9A is online at the very least.

K

Welcome to the "traitor" club! It's the brief stop over on the way to club obsessed where you wind up with all manner metal (and or wood) working machines. My metal working journey began with an Atlas 618 and slowly morphed into a full blown slide down the slippery slope. Enjoy the journey :)

John

Back