Craftsman / Atlas Mk 2 - 6"

For the $700 + that it is sitting at now with 3 more days to go a guy would do better to look around for an old Logan. I would not give that kind of money for a MK Atlas myself, regardless how well it was tooled.

Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK, Logan never built a 6" lathe.

She is a beauty , some people just want that machine Uncle Buck . I do agree with your logic , but just look at that color . Haha I just flashed on your 34' there 34-40 a perfect match .

If it was settin' in my shop, I'd be a happy man.
A good size ( for the home shop) and looks like it's in great shape and then it's got all the tooling with it.

Bobby,

Before you get rid of it, please complete the Atlas Mk2 survey questionaire (if you haven't already - I didn't check). You will find it up above in the Sticky area. Just copy and paste it into your reply email, fill it out and send to wa5cab@cs.com We have the info on very few examples of units made in 1979 or later. One thing that I am still trying to pin down is the approximate date of the switch to Zamak for the headstock which more or less doomed the Mk2.

AFAIK, Logan never built a 6" lathe.

That is part of the point. Unless a guy is space restricted in which case I can understand buying a 6" machine the same amount of money spent for that 6" would buy a fellow a better quality 10-12" lathe that is much beefier and simply put a head and shoulders better quality made machine.

My comment is not a bash against the Atlas brand either, I myself own a Craftsman/Atlas 12" that I love dearly. With that said I am the first to concede that a Logan lathe is a more substantial and better built machine.

Actually I had an Atlas MK II lathe that needed a lot of work that I just gave away to a fellow for a starter lathe that was very space restricted.

Bobby,

Before you get rid of it, please complete the Atlas Mk2 survey questionaire (if you haven't already - I didn't check). You will find it up above in the Sticky area. Just copy and paste it into your reply email, fill it out and send to wa5cab@cs.com We have the info on very few examples of units made in 1979 or later. One thing that I am still trying to pin down is the approximate date of the switch to Zamak for the headstock which more or less doomed the Mk2.

This comment confuses me. AFAIK all Atlas machines had ZAMAK gears and that is all ANY Atlas machine ever had. My Atlas milling machine, my late model 12" Craftsman/ Atlas, and the 6" MK II Atlas that I gave away all had Zamak gears and to my knowledge that was what came with every Atlas ever made. Or am I incorrect in that statement?

Or are you speaking of the headstock housing being cast in Zamak?

Back