Craftsman commercial horizontal bandsaw nylon bevel gear

mrboo2u

Registered
Registered
Recently my craftsman bandsaw broke a tooth on the bevel gear. After an extensive search of the web I quickly determined from this forum and others that the part is no longer manufactured or offered by any of the companies that produced or sold this saw under several different brand names like Atlas, Clausing and Craftsman.

I did find that a gear was being offered thru shapeways. But after visiting the site and seeing the cost as well as lead and shipping times that wasn't an option as I really couldnt wait 3 weeks to a month for the part. I did stumble onto a thread where there was another person looking as well. working with a couple other people using the original Clausing print for the part we were able to generate a working 3d model and convert it to stl so it can be printed and has been printed and verified that it works.

If anyone can assist me in posting the stl file here or a direct link to it. It would be greatly appreciated. I want nothing for this file just for it to be posted and available as an open source file so that anyone can print it at home or have the option to download it and send it to a local 3d print shop so they can get up and running more quickly. Also I called around locally and most 3d printers in my area quoted it for about half of the price it is now

hopefully we can get it up and downloadable from here soon

@mrboo2u

First, Welcome to the group!

Second, that is very generous to share the fruits of your labours with the group!

I would definitely like to help share your stl file here!
Feel free to PM* me, and attach it to that message.

Thanks,
-brino

*PM = Private Message; just hover your cursor over my user picture and select "Start Conversation"

1610069272265.png

EDIT: you could also try changing the file extension to .txt and posting it, that should work!
just add a comment to change the .txt back to .stl, and everyone should be happy.

Last edited:
My saw also broke a tooth on the plastic gear the first time I used it. I never got around to getting the replacement gear and it doesn't seem to hurt the performance of the saw. I would like to have a replacement on hand. Several forum members have 3D printers. Maybe one of them could make a run of these gears. I would gladly buy one.

The Shapeways gear while expensive was not that far out of line for me. I live in a rural area and would most likely have to drive anywhere from 50 to 100 miles to find someone who could print the gear for me. If I had to make two trips the cost of diesel for my truck would exceed the cost of the gear.

@mickri

The OP is in touch with me by email for the stl file.

When I get it I will find a way to post it here.
I could easily print you a spare; no charge.
Just PM your snail-mail address.

-brino

Recently my craftsman bandsaw broke a tooth on the bevel gear. After an extensive search of the web I quickly determined from this forum and others that the part is no longer manufactured or offered by any of the companies that produced or sold this saw under several different brand names like Atlas, Clausing and Craftsman.

I did find that a gear was being offered thru shapeways. But after visiting the site and seeing the cost as well as lead and shipping times that wasn't an option as I really couldnt wait 3 weeks to a month for the part. I did stumble onto a thread where there was another person looking as well. working with a couple other people using the original Clausing print for the part we were able to generate a working 3d model and convert it to stl so it can be printed and has been printed and verified that it works.

If anyone can assist me in posting the stl file here or a direct link to it. It would be greatly appreciated. I want nothing for this file just for it to be posted and available as an open source file so that anyone can print it at home or have the option to download it and send it to a local 3d print shop so they can get up and running more quickly. Also I called around locally and most 3d printers in my area quoted it for about half of the price it is now

hopefully we can get it up and downloadable from here soon

@mickri

The OP is in touch with me by email for the stl file.

When I get it I will find a way to post it here.
I could easily print you a spare; no charge.
Just PM your snail-mail address.

-brino

Just sent you the file. Check your email

also hole comes out a lil under size, when printed just run a reamer thru it and it will work just fine

Attachments

• pic of gear.jpg
    pic of gear.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 182
  • pic of gear 2.jpg
    pic of gear 2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 183
Here is the stl file supplied by @mrboo2u

Since the site does not allow ".stl" file types I have rename it to ".stl.txt".
Just remove the last four characters of the file name and it should show correctly.

Thanks @mrboo2u !
That should help a lot of people.

-brino

PS: here's how it looks:

1610120005581.png

1610120064891.png

1610120127578.png

Attachments

• Craftsman,Clausing,Atlas bevel gear part no 341-299.stl.txt
    109.8 KB · Views: 278
Already have installed mine just waiting on some new bandsaw tires to arrive to put it back to work.

Hope this helps. And as I said earlier this was a group effort John and Gordon and myself from another group we did it so there were more options for people. Hope this helps many people

Attachments

• 20210108_104437.jpg
    20210108_104437.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 189
  • 20210108_102856.jpg
    20210108_102856.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 188
Last edited:
My saw also broke a tooth on the plastic gear the first time I used it. I never got around to getting the replacement gear and it doesn't seem to hurt the performance of the saw. I would like to have a replacement on hand. Several forum members have 3D printers. Maybe one of them could make a run of these gears. I would gladly buy one.

The Shapeways gear while expensive was not that far out of line for me. I live in a rural area and would most likely have to drive anywhere from 50 to 100 miles to find someone who could print the gear for me. If I had to make two trips the cost of diesel for my truck would exceed the cost of the gear.

The biggest problem I had with the shapeways gear was the turn around time with out expediting the order for yet another fee it was going to be about 3 weeks to a month to receive it and then throw how USPS mail has been running around here possibly even longer. LOL I cant get anything done waiting on the mail lady so necessity created this gear as I wasnt the only person needing it asap so we created this file so that people now have an alternative choice.

I only wish I could print band saw tires too ordered a set that seems to be coming to Michigan from New Jersey via a tour to California first given my tracking info LOL

Sorry to bring up an old thread but there seems to be the right people here. I'm going to look at one of these saws.

1. Is any of the members here offering the beveled gear?

2. I thought I read that a metal band saw does not use a tire. Do these?

Thanks

Back