Craftsman (Covel) power hacksaw vise parts

phubbman

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for the movable jaw and dog parts for a Covel "Excel" power hack saw. It's identical to the Craftsman badged version of it.
If anyone out there has one they're parting out or that's otherwise dead, i'd love to hear from you.
Thanks in advance,
Paul

You can probably make one easy enough from a piece of angle iron.

I'm beginning to wonder if the original vise was a poor design, as it seems like many of these saws are missing the vise.

I recently got an Excel saw that had its vise replaced with a 3 or 4" drill press vise.

I've found parts on Ebay but would end up paying more for the vise than I did for the saw. I agree with 4ssss a vise wouldn't be hard to make. I've been looking at saws for ideas, as I don't think it would be much harder to make a better vise than making a copy of the original. The drill press vise works but can't cut an angle without getting itself in the way.

Right. The saw i'm buying has a home fab'd replacement vise that looks functional at 90 degree square cuts, but doesn't look adjustable for angles. So i thought i'd see if i can find original replacements. I might be better off modifying the replacement vise to handle angles. It certainly looks stout enough. I think one of the reasons the originals disappear is that they're easily separated from the machine. Or maybe, like you say, it's a poor design.

vise.jpg
saw 2.jpg

modifying the existing movable jaw something like in the sketch would allow it to pivot, but wouldn't keep it from lifting.
IMG_3307.jpg

I'm beginning to wonder if the original vise was a poor design, as it seems like many of these saws are missing the vise.

I recently got an Excel saw that had its vise replaced with a 3 or 4" drill press vise.

I've found parts on Ebay but would end up paying more for the vise than I did for the saw. I agree with 4ssss a vise wouldn't be hard to make. I've been looking at saws for ideas, as I don't think it would be much harder to make a better vise than making a copy of the original. The drill press vise works but can't cut an angle without getting itself in the way.

Is the (fixed ?) jaw not adjustable?.
John.

The fixed jaw is adjustable. The moveable jaw looks less than solid if clamping on an angle. It’s basically a free floating block of metal being pushed in the middle by the end of a long threaded rod. So for clamping thin stock or any pieces at an angle I think it would be frustrating to use.

Back