Craftsman (Double A) 109.6620 Wet Grinder

javie

Registered
Registered
Howdy, I've been looking for a good wet grinder for slow speed sharpening (axes, wood chisels, etc.) and found a beauty at an antique shop for an excellent price. It did not come with a motor but specs on the badge say no more than 1,750 RPM with a 1.5-inch motor pulley. There are literally thousands of 1,750 RPM motors out there and I'm new to the game so please help a brother out here. The 10-inch friable stone is about 2.25-inches thick and runs true with no wobble whatsoever when turning the reduction gears by hand. So, my question is - what HP motor since it will be turning a pretty heavy stone through water? My initial thoughts are no less than 1/2-HP but that stone is a might heavy and with any significant drag from pressure on it, I'll need the HP to keep it at a constant speed. Anybody got any experience with these great old tools and know what HP motor I should purchase?

Looked into the treadmill motor and appears to be a little beyond my ability/experience to get a pulley situated for one. I did find a vintage Powr-Kraft (old Montgomery Ward) 1/-4 HP, 1725 rpm motor that is almost silent when running!

Back