Craftsman drill press damage

boneyard51

Registered
Registered
I have an old Craftsman drill press that has had the Jacobs chuck spin off of it. Is there a reasonable fix for this problem? The press is in the photo behind the mill. Thanks,

Bones 79380C90-6D3B-4D86-AE9E-211C058E8C4C.jpeg

Typically these are morse taper.You can just put it back into place and use the drill press-ram to re-engage the taper. Put it back in, put a block of wood between the table and the chuck, then push down the ram as hard as you dare. That should be all thats required.

Really! I feel kinda dumb! I looked up there with my old eyes and thought , I’m screwed! I didn’t think they put tapers in the small drill presses. I will look a little closer when I get back to the shop. Maybe a day or two. Thanks

Bones

First clean off any burrs in the chuck and spindle, make sure there is no oil on the tapers; I would remove the spindle or the whole quill assembly, invert it on a hard surface on a piece of copper or other soft metal, with the taper facing up, put the chuck on it and give it a good sharp rap to seat it firmly on the taper, I'd suggest inserting a short piece of round stock as big as the chuck will accept and long enough to seat in the chuck and protrude perhaps an inch to hammer on without damaging the face of the chuck. It takes this sort of approach to seat shanks in Jacobs chucks to ensure that they do not fall off.
I bought one Jacobs chuck that had been allowed to slip so much that it would not stay on its shank, the taper on the shank bottomed out in the chuck; I ground off the length of the taper, inserted it in the taper, gave it a suitable whack, and presto, good as new.
The Jacobs tapers are not Morse tapers, they have less taper per foot than Morse.

The tapers on the chuck and the part that’s either part of the press , or at least what hanging out of the press are severely damaged. No way it will ever hold with out some work. I hope it’s like Erich says and it has a Morse taper in it, in which case I’ll just replace the chuck and taper. Maybe some can verify if the Craftsman had Morse tapering them. I will not be close to my press for several days.

Bones

From what I see in the picture, it has a Jacobs taper on the end of the spindle, Morse tapers are not used for that type of installation. You could perhaps find a chuck with a threaded mount, and thread the spindle for mounting, or looks for parts on e bay. You can measure the small end of the taper on the spindle and find a threaded mount chuck, I'd guess a 1/2-20 would work.

Ben, that’s kinda what I though. I though maybe there’s someone here that could fix the taper or had some kind of repair for it. A used part would be cool, but haven’t found one yet. Don’t have the exact number of the press. Will be back to the shop in a couple of days. It’s a cool old press I would like to get it back in working order.
One thing about it is that it’s real fast on speed. O wonder if there was ever a compound pulley set up for these presses?
Thanks

Bones

It looks like the chuck came off at the Jacob's taper and the Morse taper is still supported in the spindle. The chuck is lying on the table and the JT is sticking out.

is their a slot in the quill when you extend it ? that would indicat a morse taper and you should be able to use a wedge to knock it out if so.

Stu
Guys , I kinda got the cart before the horse..... will be a few days before I get back to the shop..... don’t have the numbers.

Last time I looked at it I don’t think I saw the slot to drive the wedge in to remove the Morse taper. I don’t think it’s large enough to have a Morse taper in it.

Like I mentioned, just got to thinking about it , and though maybe someone knew if a solution?

Bones

Back