Craftsman drill press damage

That doesn't look too bad, the photo is a little soft focus which always helps hide the little wrinkles :) but definitely appears to be in the usable/buff that out kind of realm.

Stu

That doesn't look too bad, the photo is a little soft focus which always helps hide the little wrinkles :) but definitely appears to be in the usable/buff that out kind of realm.

Stu
Stu, I think you are right. I’m going to dress up that taper, first with a file, then some emery cloth. Then I going to buy a new chuck and slightly heat it, apply some good loctite, push it into the chuck and tap the spindle lightly.let it set and see what happens.

Bones

You'll need a chuck with J33 internal taper. All the major DP mfg's in the old days offered chucks and accessory holders with a locking collar which thread onto the spindle. That's the reason you have a threaded portion above the taper. Older Delta and Craftsman catalogs show holders for router bits, etc with this threaded collar. The collar draws the chuck onto the J33 taper tightly and helps remove it if need be.

You'll need a chuck with J33 internal taper. All the major DP mfg's in the old days offered chucks and accessory holders with a locking collar which thread onto the spindle. That's the reason you have a threaded portion above the taper. Older Delta and Craftsman catalogs show holders for router bits, etc with this threaded collar. The collar draws the chuck onto the J33 taper tightly and helps remove it if need be.
Thanks, I look for one.

Bones

yep, my Walker Turner has that type of spindle. Make sure you put the threaded collar on first, then the chuck, or it will be really hard to get the chuck off in the future if needed

YUPP the threads give it away . Need the 33 jt chuck. Which in your case is great if the taper is bad. You could make a nut and use the regular j taper chuck . It would help if you ever wanted to change it.

Back