Craftsman drill sharpening Jig

Moper361

Registered
Registered
Anyone have any good or bad reports on craftsman drill sharpening Jig ?

I have read some good and bad reviews on both drill doctor and craftsman .I have watched a few youtube vids and appears the craftsman seems to produce a better job of shapening a bit .

I know mounting a jig to grind on the side of a wheel is not correct but im thinking of mounting a craftsman on my gri ding stand to grind on a a flate emery wheel instead of stone .see pic below of grinding stand and wheel i want to mount it on .

I only plan to sharpen upto 13mm 20180112_173124.jpg20180112_173135.jpg

Any thoughts on said subject appreciated

I have read some good and bad reviews on both drill doctor and craftsman .I have watched a few youtube vids and appears the craftsman seems to produce a better job of shapening a bit .

I know mounting a jig to grind on the side of a wheel is not correct but im thinking of mounting a craftsman on my gri ding stand to grind on a a flate emery wheel instead of stone .see pic below of grinding stand and wheel i want to mount it on .

I only plan to sharpen upto 13mm View attachment 254565View attachment 254566

In my opinion the Drill Doctor sucks. I have over 50 years of experience and can do a better job sharpening a drill bit by hand. Don't know anything about the Craftsman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion the Drill Doctor sucks. I have over 50 years of experience and can do a better job sharpening a drill bit by hand. Don't know anything about the Craftsman.

Yes from what I can see Neshkoro the drill doctor does not seem to good and sucks but so do my eyes I'm at a stage were I have a bit of trouble looking at finer things with my eyes ,So hence me looking for a bit of an aid when it comes to sharpening drills I only wish I had the same eye sight I had twenty years ago.
In all fairness tho maybe the drill doctor is fine for some people and maybe the latest version is a better product than the ones I've checked out on YouTube .However from what I saw the jig set up properly seems to do a better Job

Last edited:
I have watched a few videos on the Drill Doctor and the Craftsman in the last few days. Halligan 142 did a comparison and the Craftsman was great. Eric The Car guy did a review of the drill doctor 500 (mid range model) and had great results after a learning curve. MSC has a clone of the Craftsman for $20 (USD). Chucke2009 did a review of his drill doctor 750 and again he loves his after a learning curve. He had an older model drill doctor that he tossed but he gave it another chance and he seems happy.

I have no experience with the Craftsman model, but I have had a Drill Doctor 750 Classic since they came out over 25 years ago. It worked fine for the first 1,000 or so drill bits, but it takes some real finesse to do a goo job on the smaller sizes these days. I bought it back in the early 1990's when I was doing quite a bit of commercial work. At that time I was sharpening 50 or so bits per month.

I was originally doing them by hand, but it became so time consuming it cut into the time I needed to be making parts. Later I started sending them out, but being a small shop I was always at the bottom of the list. Sometimes it took several weeks to get a batch back. Then I bought a surplus Black Diamond sharpener from the place I worked. It was a great machine, but unfortunately someone else liked it more than I did. It was stolen only a few months after I purchased it.

Rather than going back to fiddling around hand sharpening the bits I purchased a Drill Doctor 750. I knew it wasn't a high quality machine, but I needed something quickly. As I said it worked fine for the first few years. As time went on the plastic housings started to wear and warp. After a while it was more time consuming to use the machine than it was to sharpen the bits by hand, so it went on the shelf.

Now that I'm retired and have a little more time I do use it on occasions. It took me and Jethro ( of the Beverly Hillbillies fame) some time and complicated cyphering to figure out the wear pattern and hence the proper way to position the bit to get it sharpened accurately. Through countless experiments and several sacrificial drill bits I have finally determined the proper methodology.

The proper sharpening procedure is as follows:

It can only be done during a full moon and after having consumed a minimum of 4 of adult beverages. Then you have to bow to the machine while standing on one foot and rotate counter clockwise, slowly reciting the chant OH-WA-TAFOO- LIAM. This has to be done a minimum of 6 times. Each time reciting the chant faster and louder. After the ceremonial introduction you have to insert the bit into the chuck, hold your tongue between the teeth on the left side of your mouth. Then tighten the chuck. Once the bit is firmly in the chuck you have to turn on the machine and insert it in the grinding port. As you rotate the chuck you have to simultaneously move your tongue from the left side of your mouth to the right. After sharpening every 3rd bit you must repeat the entire introductory sequence, including the imbibing the proper number of adult beverages.

The maximum number of bits I have been able to run through the machine in one evening has been 6. I couldn't tell whether or not they were sharp when I was finished, and quite frankly didn't care. However I was told the next day by the fellow hobbyists I was training to use the machine it was an interesting and educational experience.

No problems with the DD. if clearance is the problem, just turn the drill bit slightly. Don't have which direction right here with Me. Any one interested I'll post answer when I get back from the shop.

Don't really know if this drill sharpening jig is what you are referring to but I have two and they work great.
Takes some experimenting but I modified on and can actually sharpen a 1/16 bit!
A few years ago, I received a DD as a gift. It was the model just below the most expensive model and I could never get it to sharpen correctly because of the "vein type collet After placing the bit inside chuck and tightening, I could move the drill out of parrell. To me, this was "mickey mouse" so I returned it.
I installed a 4 1/2" grinder disc to my bench grinder and that is what I use.
Sad thing is--50 or so years ago, I could freehand sharpen a 1/8 drill bit without glasses or magnification..--Drill Bit SHARPENER.jpg

Don't really know if this drill sharpening jig is what you are referring to but I have two and they work great.
A few years ago, I received a DD as a gift. It was the model just below the most expensive model and I could never get it to sharpen correctly because of the "vein type collet After placing the bit inside chuck and tightening, I could move the drill out of parrell. To me, this was "mickey mouse" so I returned it.
Sad thing is--50 or so years ago, I could freehand sharpen a 1/8 drill bit without glasses or magnification..--View attachment 254607

Sucks to get old eyes!!!

Then I bought a surplus Black Diamond sharpener from the place I worked. It was a great machine, but unfortunately someone else liked it more than I did. It was stolen only a few months after I purchased it.

I stumbled onto a Black Diamond grinder that had been "Bubba" ed and I bought it anyway. You know, a "I can figure it out"! Well I failed and finally found the instructions. I was missing a goodly part of the necessary accessories. Then E-Bay came to my rescue and I bought two more with the extra pieces. I can now sharpen from #52 to 3/4" with ease and accuracy. And it splits points too!The stones are special order size and although they still make the extras , you better be well heeled as the prices are very high. As you are reading this on this forum, you can see how most of these strange pieces are made and any that you need are possible to make. There are some of these wonderful machines that surface from time to time and you better be fast if it's not priced crazy high. As you can tell I think very highly of these machines. And yes, when I got the #52 sub-collet I sure thought it was a joke. So I found a #52 in the bit bin and ground the tip completely off and then used the machine. I then inspected it with my comparator and it looks great. Now, the proof is in the pudding or drilling as it were. I dusted off my sensitive drill and made some holes in various pieces shop droppings. Spot on size according to the pin gauges! I got so excited I found another brand drill grinder that does up to 1 1/4". It was missing some parts too but they were bought from the maker for a decent price.
Now , I am NOT a commercial grinding shop but there are a few folks that bring me things to do and their $$$ help me to enjoy my fun house. And there is no reason to use dull tools around here.
PS, the sub-collets are used in the 9/16 main collet of the machine. Now, I'm a gunsmith and always making small screws and parts, so , instead of changing to the proper 5-C collet in the collet chuck , I just grab the sub collet that works. I have an almost complete set of numbers from #52 to #1, most of the fractions and most of the letters. If I'm missing one it isn't too much like rocket science to make the little beast. These machines are really easy to use once you get it adjusted and have done a few. I did a few bits for a fellow and coated them with the plastic/oil melted coating and when I delivered them , he took the coating off one as I was making him a ticket. He promptly sliced his thumb wide open and remarked, "wow, it's sharp". I told him it was an extra charge to take them and drill a hole with them to make them less dangerous. He decided I didn't need to do that. I left him with a warning about the others in that coffee can being just as sharp.
I do have three of these machines and could sell one if there is any interest but that's for another part of this forum.......
Lewis

Sad thing is--50 or so years ago, I could freehand sharpen a 1/8 drill bit without glasses or magnification..--View attachment 254607
Yes thats the type of jig i am refering to Giles
Id be intrested tobtry one of these set up on my grinder .i think it would go well set up on the emery pad wheel that i do not use a lot and can be left set up on the machine .

Back